Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FIL's club took a cruise around LA/MS this past weekend. About 20 cars from 57-04.

On the way home, his friend hit a deer with the corvette on I-59. Unsure of the damage to either vehicle or animal, but the owner just had the car painted/gone through within the last 18 months, and I'm sure he is just sick about it.

Another member hit a buzzard at over 90mph with a 2003 not too long ago, and the damage was considerable.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Im not so convinced that they are hideously fragile.

Look around the internet for a picture of a bare 60's or 70's vette frame. Also take note that there is a steel frame under the fiberglass for the windshield and firewall area.

Im not saying they are as strong as a full size car....probably just as safe as a convertable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What convinced me was a trip to the junkyard looking for parts... take a look at some of the junked 'vettes while you're in there and see what happens to them in various collisions. Not a pretty sight at all. Seen a couple that were essentially melted.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, until the late 60's, the doors were all fiberglass. The frame is mostly under the car, except for the Radiator support. True, the windshild posts go down to catch the door hinges, but they are not bolted to the frame. Attachment points are 8-10 bolts through the body to the frame on rubber cushions.

My FIL restores them, my wife drives a '75 vert, and I still say they aren't as structurally robust as even a metal convertable. Aesthetically, they are very nice. But because it's one big body glassed together (At least up until the tilt front ends in the late 80's), major body repairs are expensive. A dear can really mess up a metal car. I hate to think of the damage to a plastic one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts