Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the players have set a strike date, huh? I intellectually understand that they believe that the owners are keeping an unfair percentage of the money, but when the average salary is now $2.3M, it's hard for me to feel much sympathy. They have a contract in place through November. I expect them to play until November (although, unfortunately, I don't think they will).

Understand that I am a BIG baseball fan. I regularly attended games in Atlanta during the 1980's when they pretty much stank. I have spent thousands of dollars on cards and memorabilia. I watch nearly every televised Braves game, which is around 100 games per year.

But I'm sick of this. If they strike and cancel Post yet again, I'm done with baseball at the major league level. I'm going to cancel my sports mag subscriptions. I'm going to quit purchasing new cards and promo items. I will avoid as much as possible purchasing any product endorsed by a major league player (and let the advertisers know why!). Let's see how those finely-honed fielding skills support the players when MLB goes bankrupt.

I'll probably always watch baseball at the minor league level. Kids who play the game more for love than for money. The game has a great history, and I'll pick up items from that history. But for the current players, for the present National Pastime, I'll be done. I'll keep my hundreds of dollars per year. I'll find something else to do with those ~300 hours per season. Baseball, with a capital "B", will have lost me. And if they've lost me, it's over.

Steve

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Very well said. I lost interest in baseball during the last strike. Let them go out and get a real job, then they'll realize how good they have it making several million a year....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used to enjoy watching MLB all the time, but after the last strike they lost me for good. I very rarly if ever will watch a game anymore. The greedy bast**** can rot a far as im concerned.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I agree with everyone else. The first strike was so-so, I was a little perturbed but I wasn't completely turned off. Now I'm done with the game, its over.

Those poor, underprivileged, famished, gaunt men making tons of money can suck an egg as far as I'm concerned.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, that's certainly crossed my mind, Nick!

Steve

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You're right. At Dodger stadium bottled water is $4.50, a 20 oz. Coke (plastic bottle) is $3.50, peanuts are $5
How much more do they want to gouge us?.
I stopped collecting cards 10 years ago due to prices. When I was a kid you could get a pack for .15 When I stopped collecting, Topps were .50 and Upperdeck was about $1. What are they now? $ 3-4? forget it.
Greed will kill the game, Americas pastime might just be past-tense

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm with you Steve. Only I haven't been much of a fan for a long time. When I was young, I lived for the game. We could see one game a week on TV. (I wish I still had my bubble gum cards and Dizzy Dean was still doing the color commentary.) Of course I was playing the game then. Somewhere along the way, I lost interest. Don't exactly know why. But today when I see these super salaried players acting like spoiled children, I am saddened for the fans and the legacy of a (formerly) great American pastime.

As someone used to say, "So goes the world today".

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I used to be a foaming at the mouth type of baseball fanatic, watched every game I could and attended a lot of the Royals games. Since the last strike I think I have been to two games and only because the tickets were given to me and haven't watched a game on tv for over 5 years...It was the last strike that made me dis-interested and I will stay that way...

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
This is really a hard one for me as I still Love the Game, yes the last strike angerered me as much as the rest of you, but I find myself watching whenever I have time and following as much as ever.

I do think the players are overpaid in most cases, but I can also see some of there points I see more players having money problems than owners. Watch the teams that wind up being dissolved what those owners make over there investment.

I truly don't know how I would handle another strike, It would be hard for me to give up the game, I think I would have to explore minor league more than I currently do.

Mark

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Forget Blandball! I wasn't much of a fan before the first strike and I don't care if I ever watch a MLB game. I do like to go to our local minor league games the West Michigan White Caps. They make it fun and half affordable to go to and eat something.
I say Make the NFL season twice as long!!!!! Go Lions!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Rob, where you been? 2 posts in 2 months? Our show is next Saturday ... any chance we'll see your FB there? You and Sabrina could stay at my place if you want to come down for the show (or even if you just want to come down *LOL*).

I'm with you on the baseball thing. I've not watched a major league game since the last strike. I hope the stupid a$$es strike again ... because then they'll NEED to go get a real job, as it will be the end of baseball.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The only baseball worth watching is AAA or other than national/american league teams. Why? You can sit in decent seating, enjoy the game from a decent distance, drink a beer and have a hot dog and you're only out $20 for the evening. The caliber of play is not that different than the majors. Why waste your time with the cry babies?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I guess I have to ask... If you were having money problems, would it be your employers responsibility to pay you more or your responsibility to manage your money better? Some might say that's arguable when you're a teacher earning $40K a year for preparing the future generation. But a baseball player earning $2.3M?

As salaries have gone up, the number of players that are truly committed to the game has gone down. It's not nearly as much about the team record any more as it is about their personal stats and how that will apply to the next contract. Most of them stopped signing autographs for free a while back even for little kids; I don't know if they resumed, but that's where major league baseball lost me.

We went to a minor league game a few weeks ago where one of the teams was the college all-stars that will become the U.S. Olympic baseball team in a few years. After the game, the kids were told they could get autographs at the fence (this was broadcast a couple of times during the game and the players were refusing autographs during the game itself).

When the game ended, my 9-year-old went to the fence near the all-star dugout with a lot of the other kids and was made to wait while the teams had post-game meetings on the field. The players then went to the dugouts and leisurely gathered equipment. Only then did a few players wander over to the fence and start signing. Of those, most were distant and barely acknowledged the kids. A couple did make it a point to talk to each of them. About half the team walked right past the kids without stopping enroute to the locker room.

I wanted to reach across the fence and grab them all by the throat to remind them that these kids were going to the adult fans that would make them wealthy if they ever got to the majors and that a bit more warmth would be nice. The kids didn't really notice, but I know what that experience could have been like for them and the attitude of the players still annoys me.

I don't actually care if the players strike because I've already lost interest but I do feel bad for all those Little Leaguers and sandlot players who won't get the rest of the season. They deserve players with more respect and gratitude for their fans.

G

·
0 Posts
reason 1 not to watch baseball: greedy obnoxus players
reason 2 no acsess (?) to players
reason 3 owners making big money off publicly funded stadiums
reason 4 we are gouged for any thing that is bought at the stadium
let these players get a real JOB let me see one on a construction job in 90 deg 90% humidy bet they would not last 10 min working with me !!!
Nascar builds there own tracks with out public funds there drivers are acsessable(?) for autographs they rember who is making them rich for the most part . This is why i am not a big sports fan .

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Actually, I read (I think in Sports Illustrated) that the average salary is 2.4 million per year...but what's a measly $100,000 to a big important major leaguer???

I recently attended a Rockies/Reds game, and really enjoyed it. BUT I have less than no sympathy for the unbridled GREED on both sides of the table.....Especially the players.

If their jobs are sooooo awful they should try the real world.

Strike on ! Bring in the scrubs.....

I still love baseball - coach my son's little league teams and have season tickets to the local college team (Tulane)....but you won't see me crying if MLB implodes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's hard to sympathize with these players making millions a year. I think the fans should strike. Nobody attend a baseball game between now and the August 30 strike date ...Yeah right, like that will happen. Sadly, I think they will strike & I think the fans will return when the players return. They'll have one less, though, because I am finished with MLB.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts