Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving into work this morning I spotted a Chevy Cavalier with one of those huge erector-set looking double decker aluminum wings on the trunk. But this one had a bullet shaped red light under each side of the wing.

Although, they were probably supposed to act as blinkers, I believe they are probably much more effective as a warning to low flying aircraft. :p

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I may be able to one up you...

Yesterday, while sitting in nice Tappan Zee bridge traffic (actually, not too bad, only took 30 minutes from exit 14 to the toll booths) I saw a Chevy Lumina with what first looked to be a wing with two horizontals. When pulling up beside the car, it was actually two wings, the guy was just too lazy to take the first one (and smaller) off before putting the second one on.

Gotta love them.

|Slade

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
This post is useless without pictures. Get your cameras out!

·
Registered
466 Posts
ive seen one of the most beat up ford tempos in the world with a bright new shinny alum wing on it.... made the dented doors, fenders, and smashed headlight look that much worse, but he still had the "perfect" wing... ::

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
Shampoo. ::

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I saw one last week on a lumina Z31, they guy had it angled properly for high drag and rear end lift. You know, pointing up instead of slightly down at the front edge. I told my wife you only need a wing if you're going over 100 and tend to need to have rear downforce. She got it! The driver of the car, did not.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
worst I ever saw was a 68 GTO, had a plywood (!) shark-fin nailed to the trunk lid like the Batmobile. In front, there was a plywood Funny-Car style hood scoop nailed to the hood (nailed, as in 2" nails from Home Depot) with an orange floodlight mounted in it. This was ten years ago and Im still in therapy from the experience ::

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Me and my buddy who has a 67 stang that is pretty beefed up liked to go to the local rice shows on sat nights and just sit there and rev the heck out of our v8 engines with big exhaust. They on the other hand used their weedwackers to maintain pep boys lawn:). One day we stopped and I asked one of the kids what the wing was used for. He said he didnt care because and I quote "It looks awesome and the chicks love it". I busted out laughing and just had to walk away. My goodness, what has the auto world come to when we put shopping cart handles on our cars becasue "the chicks love it". LOL

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Some people don't really know the function of a spoiler or wing. Yeah, I guess its to hold down the rear end...by sheer weight?!?! LOL! One doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to know how the aerodynamics of a wing works....

But if the happy wing owner is only opting for a chick magnet, who cares? You can't drive 100mph when opening the door to let them in!!!!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Saw a sight yesterday that is a little tough to describe.... take a mini pickup (not sure what it was to begin with) and add a plywood inner box that extends out over the sides of the pickup bed... then build up about 3 feet above the bed and add a full size 8' long bed cap... On top of that put a foot high wing and you got the contraption I saw... It was soooo heavy in the tail end I can't imagine how the driver managed to steer it. The wing had to be there for lift! :: :: :: ::

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Get this....cruising down 880 I saw a larger 5 series BMW (new) with a weird set of wings in the back.....looked like someone took it to the monster garage and attempted to make an F15....

One of them "What was HE thinking!?!?!" type of things

K

·
0 Posts
Well maybe the driver did get it.
A wing on the rear is usually there for downforce on a rear wheel drive vehicle. On a FWD maybe his thinking was to lift the rear thus creating opposite downforce on the front. Not very efficient but his little mind might have had such thoughts. :eek: ::

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Apparently, those same chicks really dig japanese stickers, ridiculous ground effects, and really slow cars.

·
Registered
466 Posts
id rather scare the sh t out of my g/f b/c of the throttle my car has b/c if they are scared they need someone to protect them :) then impress her by what my looks like, thats what im for ::, not the car.... hahahahaahhahaha, not so much. even though i do both of those with my 69. she likes the rumbling it makes too ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts