Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a small single axle utility trailer with a gross weight of about 2,000#. I'll never, or don't plan on loading the trailer that much, mostly for bulky items.

I know I need a class II reciever hitch, which will be more then adiquate for my purposes. However, a class III is not a whole lot more. In reality, I really wouldn't want to tow anything needing a class III hitch any distance with my Windstar. But I wonder if it would be nice to have the class III in the event I had to tow my Mustang on a dolly for some reason.

Basically what I want to know, has anyone towed a car with a Windstar with the 200hp motor? Should I just stick with a class II and rent a pick up if I had to tow a car on a dolly? TIA

G

·
0 Posts
I used to tow a `92 Bayliner Capri with my wifes `96 Windstar which I believe had a 6 cyl. / 3.8 ltr motor.This boat was fairly heavy and the van towed it without any problems - just my experience.Lee

G

·
0 Posts
Of all the transmissions I have rebuilt for front wheel drive vans about 65 - 75% suffered from excessive heat. I would recommend a trans cooler ( a vary good one). Most of my customers only tow wave runners and alot have said they noticed a difference in the over all performance of there trans after installation of the cooler at temperature with the loaded trailer. I install the largest I can fit in the area in front of the condensor. Anything you can do to reduce the trans temp under extra load of the trailer will help your trans last longer.

·
Registered
19,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe me, I was going to put a big aux cooler in if I put a hitch on.

My basic question was the stability of the Winstar with a car in tow. BTW, I wouldn't leave O.D. on either! It's basically to cover all the bases in the event I had to to a car, not that I'm specifically going to do it. It would be the exception.

G

·
0 Posts
The Draw-Tite class ll hitch is rated at 3500lbs this is all you would need for your purpose,even pulling the Mustang on a dolly. Towing a dolly is a whole lot different than pulling the car on a trailer. If you are going to trailer the car then go for the class lll. I would never recommend a Windstar as a tow vehicle for as large a load as a trailered car but for the emegency use I would do it. I towed a trailered Mustang behind a Granada once. It was ok when kept to under 55 but I wouldnt want to do it again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts