Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something that occured to me today - my tires on my new wheels probably wont even see 1k miles a year, and i just thought maybe i could get used tires.

Of course the reason im posting this is because im pretty sure its a bad idea, BUT....would it be a good option? Is there anything i should know about to argue either way?

I just think that maybe taking used tires off of old wheels and putting them on other wheels might be too much strain on them.

Any advice welcome.

(oh, and IF i should consider it, what's a good price to pay for a set of p205(or225) for 15x7 ?)

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Price depends on the amount of tread left. There was some discussion on this topic this time last year, there was no right answer. I used to buy used tires also, but not any more and here's why.........
They don't always last too long, here's the theory that was discussed.........
Radial tires are directional after they have been run in one direction. I may have purchased a left front tire and unknowingly put it on a right front position, now the tire spins opposite to what it started out as. Then later that tire suffers from a belt popping inside and giving a bulge and wobble.
Unless I know which position it came off the car, I don't buy used any more. I've had 3 out of 6 used tires fail.
When rotating radial tires they are rotated front to back but stay on the same side of the car.
This is the theory that someone told me.....not gospel, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were the tires you bought run often, such as for daily use?

Like i said, they are unlikely to see 1,000 miles a year, so they wont be used much at all.

Thanks,

Gary

(BTW, i thought of maybe $30 each, seeing as how they are about $55 new a peice)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Yes they were on the family mini van, 15,000km a year. They were good quality tires, that's why i bought them because i could only afford those quality tires at used prices. $30 is fair depending on tread left. 1000 km a year you maybe just fine for a long time.
I may do the same for my Mustang if i can find the type of tire i want. $120 for 4 tires goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,

I thought of this for 2 reasons.

1) Cheapest way i can get tires is to import from the USA. If i buy NEW, i may have to pay import duty, which i may have to pay for the wheels anyway. Can you believe its cheaper to buy new tires and ship them from the USA than to buy them here or in the UK!

2) Because im getting new wheels AND i need tires, i want to save a bit of cash. Next year i might buy brand new tires, so all i need out of them is about 2,000 MAX.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Gary,

One would think, if USA tires were that much less expensive in your country, that someone locally would already be importing them as a business....have you checked around? If so, they likely have a good source for used ones as well, considering the diversity of the local economy.

IMO, it's a crap-shoot to buy used tires sight-unseen from across the pond.....I'd want to personally inspect them before purchase. Other than that, I see no problem with it.

I've routinely cross-rotated the radials on our vehicles and generally get 50-60K per set....my wife's car is the exception as her radials are uni-directional and have an arrow to denote direction of rotation.

Personally, if I lived in a European country where US tires aren't generally available, I'd likely have a set of metric wheels drilled to fit the Mustang BC so I could buy tires locally. Or, do I misunderstand this problem?

In any event, good luck!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically, quality tires of this size do not exist here. There is no market for them. The vast, vast majority of vehicles here are japanese or european compact cars on tiny rims.

I havent found a retailer here who stocks these tires. My father recently bought brand new tires for his van, which
cost 75 euro a peice (which is about $75 too)

Considering how widely available these tires are, and the high price at which they are sold, means that if i was to find tires for 15x7 wheels, im looking at at LEAST 90 per tire.

Considering i can get top quality brand new tires in the USA for $65 each (BFGoodrich Radial G/T) its cheaper to both buy AND ship these tires, than if i were to find them here.

The main reason i want used tires, is to save on import duty.

I suppose i will put an ad in the 'wanted' section, and hope a reputable VMF'er answers the call.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I suppose i will put an ad in the 'wanted' section, and hope a reputable VMF'er answers the call.

Good idea and thanks for the update Gary...I understand your situation more completely now...forgot about all those tiny cars! *G*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts