Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be riding in the "MS Tour for Cure" on October 4th and 5th, to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society....It's 150 miles over 2 days, through some pretty LA and MS backroads.

Last year I decided to ride at the last minute, and did it on a borrowed road bike. This year, I'm going to do more intense training and so it's time I get my own.

How many cyclists do we have here?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good entry level race road bike? Right now I'm looking at a new Trek 1000. A local shop is offering the bike for $550, but he'll include a split seat, seat bag, computer, cage, and 6 mos of tune-ups for $600. This seems like a fair deal, unless one of you guys or gals has a better idea.

I'd also been told to look into Cannondale or Felt, but those are more pricey. And so far I've yet to find any good deals on used ones via flea-bay.

And lastly, if anyone wants to sponsor me with donations to help fight MS, I'm accepting. :eek: *shameless self-promotion off* :eek:

Thanks - Dickson

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
For the money, sounds like a great bike. Ever since they purchased Klein Bicycle, they have made an aluminum frame that shuts Cannondale down. I won't get on to the whole Cannondale "quality control" thing but they aren't worth the money in my humble opinion.

If it is a current year Trek 1000, $550 sounds like a great deal (MSRP is $630 and there is only a bout a 32-35% markup for the dealer). AS for the additional stuff...Does he not offer some sort of "free tune up period?" Where I am, it is usually free for two years +/-, some lifetime...Not much adjustment after the first few rides however, just nice to have a free tweak of the gears when you need it. A computer is nice as is a comfortable saddle (seat). I hope you have some lycra/padded cycling shorts and a helmet for the trip. A water bottle and cage is another necessary item to have for the trip, perhaps two!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not know they'd bought Klein. As for the Cannondale quality control issues, that's funny you mention that as one of the "up selling" points they'd mentioned was Cannondale's clean welded frame (you can't see the weld bead) and carbon fiber front fork....

His MSRP sticker says $599, but offered at $549 to commemorate Lance Armstrong's win.....Good marketing, IMO.

He offers 6 mos of tune-ups. I'll probably just get it done after my training / before the ride. Absolutley I have a helmet, bike shorts, padded gloves, and water bottle cage.....

The bike I rode last year also had a full split seat, which made a big difference after the day's rides.

The Tour is really well run, with rest stops every 10 miles that provide water, sports drinks, and all the snacks you'd ever want. I learned after the first day to pig out! ::

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I built my own bike useing www.pricepoint.com , http://www.coloradocyclist.com/ and ehay. I put together a Ultegra equiped road bike for about 800.00.
I choose a closeout GT Aluminum frame, in retrospect it turned out to be a bit on the stiff side. I would probably go with a steel frame if i was to do it again. Steel has such a nice ride, aluminum transmits every bump straight to the rider. There are some great buys on ehay on used road bikes. I like a tripple front ring, but i need all the help i can get on the hills :: Try http://www.roadbikereview.com/ for great reivews on different bikes and equipement

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If you can imagine a "clean welded frame" is nothing more than a welded frame that has been sanded smooth. There really isn't that much tube there to be doing that much sanding. I remember the day when every other Cannon frame out of the box had to be returned due to alignment issues. I would imaging they are not that bad today mind you but they are not worth the extra money. True, Trek purchased Klein and Bontrager bicycle companies back in '94/95 and basicly went from a bonded aluminum frame to a welded aluminum frame VERY shortly after. There was a lot of shared info as the base Kleins were produced in Waterloo Wi with the other Trek frames.

As for Cannondale, they were basicly a touring company that sold bike bags and touring equipment for cyclists. Later they got into the cycle trailer company and later into the frame/bike business. As legal paperwork would offer, the first "Cannondale" frame was a Taiwan copy of a Klein frame sold under the Cannondale name. Several years later and a whole ton of marketing and sales...law suit and a bunch of royalties paid to Klein for more patent copies than they could explain... ::

However I digress...

Great that he offers free tune-ups. Like I said, in the first few rides, the cables will stretch causing the gears/brakes to be out of adjustment. Try to watch while they adjust them as it is quite easy if you think about the theory behind adjusting cable tension on the deraileur system-a lot easier than a Carb if you ask me!

Split seat? Is this one of those seats that has a groove down the center or one that the two cheeks move? (I hope it is the former LOL). Glad you have a good helmet and shorts, perhaps a clean pair for each day of the ride to keep the mop fresh...

Yea, the only thing better than riding 150 miles with a bunch of friends is having a buffet every 10 miles!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Oh yea, try www.epinions.com for some non-bias opinion. Do keep in mind that most of the good reviews are from ones that purchased the particular item and perhaps half of the bad ones are from people with an opinion of the item. Take it tongue in cheek too.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
A buddy of mine just dropped a load on a Lemond and loves the sucker to death ... he's a convert from the fat tire land. Don't know enough about road bikes myself.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Dont know much about the Trek 1000, but I have a 1220 and absolutely love it. I've had it for a few years and I think I paid around $700 for it. I'm not sure if the 1220 is still available, but it is an awesome bike! I bought it and trained one summer to ride DALMAC, it's a ride here in Michigan from the state capital (Lansing) to the Mackinac Bridge, roughly 400 miles. No better way to see the sites than by bicycle...

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
It sounds like a pretty good deal for an entry level rider such as your self.

Keep an eye on the new shifter cables because they will stretch and when they do start to stretch the shifting will become rough meaning you will have trouble shifting into an easier gear. Make sure you get the bike tuned up before the tour.

I used to race cannondale bikes 10 years ago and had good luck with them. They use to have a nice exchange program but I am not sure if they do any more.

I haven't raced in a few years now and the bikes I was racing then where GT ti bikes both rode and moutain bikes which I still have. If I was looking at buying a new bike I would start looking at Trek bikes just because I haven't owned one.

Remember to just put in time in the saddle. The more time you spend in the saddle during training the easier the tour will be. Try to get a couple of 50 plus mile rides in before the tour.

good luck

·
Registered
952 Posts
A few years back I swore off road bikes, after being car doored. The bike I was riding was a very nice Colnago fitted with Campy gear. I then purchased a "reasonable" priced fat tire Trek. I wish I would have not bought the "reasonable" priced bike and just sucked it up and bought a fully loaded bike. I have upgraded and upgraded and still am not happy. Subsequently I don't ride nearly as much as I should.

Point being - IMHO don't compromise. In the end it will cost you more $$$$$$

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I too have been "doored" and it's not much fun. I had nowhere to go to avoid it on the narrow New Orleans streets. Luckily I was going pretty slow....That same summer I got into a fight with an insane little Italian (I think) who got mad after he ran into the back of me when I turned to avoid a traffic back up....After that I too avoided riding for a while....

How about Diamondback brand? I just talked with another shop and they had that brand with Shimano components starting at about $500. I've heard of them, but thought they were more mountain bikers.

BTW, I have a 10+ yr old Marin mountain bike that I'd ridden pretty hard, and it's never let me down. I just can't ride that for this race, though!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Many people ride Diamondback bikes, they are a good company. Not a real "roady company" though. As with anything competitive, you get what you pay for. I think the trek will give you a better frame for the same money and some of the other Taiwan brands will give you better components with less frame...you weigh the comfort/convenience. As for the shop, they will be a key in your adjustments (assuming you don't already know how) and should be considered too. A few bucks more could buy you the next up in line and "if" you continue to use it, it will be enjoyed that much more and you are less likely to trade it later...just a thought. Good luck on the selection.

Perhaps you can get them to let you ride it for a half hour to see how it feels?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts