Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The longest word that is really a word...

hippomonstrosequippedaliaphobia

It is hopefully spelled correctly...My 14 year old daughter told me about it...

It means the fear of extremely long words....

hehehe...Just had to share...

Mel

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I thought it was antidisestablishmentarianism.
My 10 YO told me it was :p

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK...what is the meaning...???

Mel

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, yeah...My word has more charicters...Have your 10 year old take that to school...Almost nobody will guess the meaning...I stumped many people for hours with it...

hehehehe...This is so fun.....

Mel

·
Registered
483 Posts
antidisestablishmentarianism is a short one at only 28 letters (and it is the principle of being against the people who are against the establishment (usually taken to mean the establishment of the Church of England))...

try pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis which is a mere 45 letters long and is a "supposed lung disease"... That's the longest word in the Oxford English dictionary, but they also mention
"osseocarnisanguineoviscericartilaginonervomedullary (51 letters), which translates roughly as `of bone, flesh, blood, organs, gristle, nerve, and marrow'." and "aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic (52 letters), attributed to Dr Edward Strother (1675-1737)." in an article at askoxford.com.

Z.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
From what I remember, "antidisestablishmentarianism" is not supposed to be the longest word – it's the greatest number of sufixes and prefixes in one word.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wouldn't pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism come close for most suffix/prefixes on a word...
Pseudo pseudo hypo para ism makes five...
anti dis establish ment arian ism is five also... and pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism is a longer word... :)

Z.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts