Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am in Oakland with the bus. I got in last night. This AM I had to take the Hockey team from USU to the rink downtown. What a crappy place to have a rink. roads are narrow and turns are way tight! People are nuts here and parking is impossible.

There is big construction going on in front of the rink and there is nowhere for me to put the bus while waiting. I guess I will just have to block traffic. The weather is good though. It might be raining, but it is 30 degrees warmer here than Utah.

Mel

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah Oakland ain't that pretty of a place, but there are a lot of neat places around there. There are some good restuarants down in Jack London Square, and lots of neat places in Berkeley.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Keep the guys close to the rink or the bus! You don't want to stray too far in that town. Gotta admit I was born there.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
heyheyheyhey! welcome! yea, if you're not from oakland i wouldn't go roaming around, but i love it here. like many large cities there are good and bad points.

some of the roads are bumpy and have sharp turns, but there are lots of nice corners too!

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
"Lock up your daughter, lock up your wife, lock up your backdoor, take my advice"

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
As an Oak Town O.G., I've got to admit that the locals can be somewhat.....ahhh.....inhospitable. My parents had the good sense to E-vacuate the area when I was 10 years old, thus depriving me of the true Oakland experience. Tsk,tsk. Pitty. None the less, I find myself strangely drawn to donks, bubbles and boxes with hydraulics, forty ounce bottles of cheap malt liquor and 9mm hand guns.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hehehehehe....

It hasn't been that bad so far. The roads are bad and narrow, the people are worth watching, and the weather until today has been OK. Well even today it isn't bad, just wet. The temps in Utah are cold and here even though the weather is wet, the temps are not bad.

I am in hopes that the weather holds out until I get over Donners. Once I am over the pass the weather can do what ever it wants!

The people watching in the bay area is among the best in the world!

Mel

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
lots of good food in oakland/berkeley

too bad the weather's not very good, california isn't as "sunny" as people think sometimes!

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'm still in Oakland and will not be hitting the summit until about 4-5AM. I checked the weather conditions and they are over reacting. I have been through much more snow than that without chains before. They are requiring chains as of now. I guess I'll pay the chainers up there the $35 they want to chain up the bus...

I hate chains. Oh well when we get to Reno we can stop and get a decent meal and relax because it is all easy to Elko from there.

Mel :pirate:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts