Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to put a OBD port into my mustang and was wounding has anyone seen a kit to put a OBD port/module into a classic car?

Thanks kyle

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Say what?

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
Interesting thought. I think you are putting the cart in front of the horse. The ODB port doesn't actually do anything, it just lets you see whatever all the electronic modules and computers are doing. Since 55 year old cars don't have any electronics other than the radio there's nothing to connect to.
Now you CAN install a 1990's type electronic fuel injection setup, or a complete fuel injected engine, or something like that and then you might have a use for an OBD port.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
It's easy.....
step one- go to the junkyard and remove the OBD connector port and snip off the wiring
step two- using 2 sided tape so as not to drill holes in your classic Mustang dash, attach it where you'd like.
step three- done!

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
Never mind my first reaction to this question. A second later I realized that I have a couple of teenagers who slouch around my garage from time to time and to them Kyles' question would be quite a reasonable one. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they asked me something similar at some point. If they could remove their faces from their phones long enough to take any interest.

·
Super Moderator
8,840 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm going to take a WAG on this one.

I looked at his previous post, and he's looking for a digital dash for his 68 Mustang that looks like the one in the 2018 Mustang.
image98 responded that he could use an iPad or tablet and run Real Dash with the 2018 Mustang Dashboard. image98 stated that Real Dash interfaces with OBD II in conjunction with a 3D printer.
You can read the exchange here: https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/1150818-custom-digital-ganges.html

So, if I want a digital dash that looks like the 2018 Mustang dash, and Real Dash will give it to me if I have OBD II installed, therefore, I need an OBD II port installed in my 68 Mustang.

Problem solved. Next.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to take a WAG on this one.

I looked at his previous post, and he's looking for a digital dash for his 68 Mustang that looks like the one in the 2018 Mustang.
image98 responded that he could use an iPad or tablet and run Real Dash with the 2018 Mustang Dashboard. image98 stated that Real Dash interfaces with OBD II in conjunction with a 3D printer.
You can read the exchange here: https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/1150818-custom-digital-ganges.html

So, if I want a digital dash that looks like the 2018 Mustang dash, and Real Dash will give it to me if I have OBD II installed, therefore, I need an OBD II port installed in my 68 Mustang.

Problem solved. Next.
you get where my heads at i just cant figure out a way to add a OBD ll port to the car to read speed, RPMs, Temp, fuel and voltage

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I think you'll have to create your own ODB2 type system to generate the signals for the sensors. Maybe something with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi or something similar.

Unfortunately the way the gauges work on our old cars is completely different from what you'd need to feed a digital gauge system so you'll need something in the middle to translate.

Our sensors all basically variable resistors. Well, the Temp, Fuel and Voltage anyway. RPMs are read by counting how often the coil fires and dividing by 6 (or 8).

So for the main gauges you'll need something to read the resistance on the sensors and then put out a digital signal in whatever format the ODB2 interface uses. If you figure out one of them you'll have all of them 'cause they all work the same.

For the tach your translator will have to sense the on/off switching of the coil.

If you need a speed sensor for the speedometer you'll need to swap out the whole cable. Our old speedometers just spin a cable around inside a sleeve. You'll need something you can read a signal from. A sensor from a later Mustang with fuel injection might fit. Like a later Fox body or SN95 I think would have a good chance.

The trick is going to be finding or building that bit in the middle to do the translation and output the digital ODB2 signal instead of our analog resistance readings. Whatever you come up with post lots of pics. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who'd like to see how it comes out.

·
Registered
784 Posts
You would essentially need to drop in an engine, along with all of it's associated wiring, sensors, etc., from a vehicle made 1995 or after. The ODB2 port is part of the harness that you would need to bring over. It can be done, but it's not easy. If you are looking to do this to get a digital dash, there may be better (easier) stand-alone options. Remember though that everything you want to see on a gauge needs to be connected to a sensor somewhere. You'll be adding a bunch of sensors.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have my OBD1 port located under the passenger side a/c vent on my '67. But then again, I have a foxbody EFI setup with the Ron Francis wiring which comes with the OBD1 port for the ECU.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The OP is too focused on OBDII to get Real Dash working in his 68 Mustang.
Real Dash can work on Android and Windows 10 tablets with the following ECUs:

•Autronic SM4, SM2 and SMC
•Ecumaster EMU series
•Hondata K-Pro, FlashPro, and S300
•Hybrid EMS
•Link ECU - Blue Storm, Xtreme, Fury, Thunder, all Plug-ins, Force, and old G4/Vipec V series ECUs
•MaxxECU
•Megasquirt
•Motorsport-Electronics ME221
•OBD2 - support will vary, depending on adapter and vehicle. NOTE: OBDII may not be the best way to go.
•Spitronics - ECU & TCU
•SPLeinonen PDSX-1 & Dashbox
•Tatech - 32 and 38
•UltraSky EMS
•Unichip
•Vems v3
•Y-Dash

You could install the required sensors in your 68 Mustang connected to a Megasquirt ECU with a Bluetooth module soldered to the mainboard.
The Megasquirt would receive the data from the sensors and send it to the tablet that has the Real Dash app installed.

The minimum input required for Real Dash would be: coolant temperature sensor, oil pressure sensor, vehicle speed sensor, tach in, alternator voltage, manifold absolute pressure (for boost).

I highly recommend to the OP to go to the Real Dash website and read about how to accomplish what he wants:
RealDash

1 - 20 of 32 Posts