Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1197936913-IMG_2644.JPG

This is something I've been batting around in the back of my head for years. What I've got here is a small microswitch that could be installed in the fake button on my stock C4 shifter. This would be used as an OD cancel switch....maybe.

This seems to work fairly well mechanically. My idea would be to short one terminal of the momentary switch there back to the shifter and run that red wire to the GROUND side of a Bosch style relay. Essentially when the switch makes it grounds the relay. Then, the relay would be used to apply 12V+ to my TCS which signals a toggle of the OD condition.

Does that make sense? The reason I want to do it that way is I figure a few years from now (or maybe sooner) that red wire is going to get abraded and short itself out ahead of the switch. If I've figured this right, that won't create a dead short in the electrical system...it will just cause the OD relay to toggle on its own. Not the greatest situation, but unlikely to fry anything.

Good idea or Stoooopid? You make the call.

Phil

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Doesn't sound stupid to me, I looked (not very hard) at making something like that to engage my GearVendor overdrive. Neat idea.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
My 1986 Volvo 240 DL had a push-button OD switch on a manual tranny (I had to clutch to engage it as well). I don't see why it wouldn't work on an automagic.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
The Taurus SHO and Thunderbird from the same time period have OD cancel buttons on the ATX shifter handle.

Frank

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Looks like a great idea, but how are you going to protect the wire from the mechanism inside the shifter handle?

Edit: reread the post, it looks like you're not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Already been done. That's where my GV control switch is....

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/imagehosting/10663847682361b0da1.jpg

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool Beans!

Any words of wisdom on routing the wire? Did you drill a hole like I did?

Do you rememeber what gauge wire you used?

Did you use a relay, like I'm talking about?

Phil

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
With the Gear Vendors setup there is a relay
that is driven by the OD switch, so basically really
tiny gage wire is just fine. The stuff I used looks
like grey two connector speaker wire but it's tiny.
(I pulled the end two stands off a 6
strand ribbon wire- like what you'd see inside
a computer printer)
I didn't go down inside the round part of the
shifter because the Park release cable is inside.
I used a Dremel to put a slight groove in the
T-handle in the front and I ran the wires down
the front of the shifter, gluing the wire to the
shifter. (And when the car's in Park, the wire
ISN'T close enough to the shift cover to get smashed)
That trick little setup has been in there about
10 years or so with no problems- if you want
something really clandestine, use a black boot
on the toggle or a black button switch. Very
difficult to spot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
For me I wouldnt want to have a switch on the top of my shifter to turn off the OD, dont you leave it in D anyway? Id prefer to have my hands on the wheel unless Im shifting. I would design a small switch to be placed on the steering wheel using the horn button terminals and totally delete the idea of having wires twisting. place the switch a thumbs reach on one of the arms from the center of the wheel. Only problem is you cant use the horn. but I dont use the horn anyway, and if it is required for inspection wire another switch lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts