Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering using a OD 'toploader' transmission behind a 302 in my '51 Ford F1 project and would like to have a floor shifter. I'm not sure what shifter will work on these - weren't they all column shifted in their original vehicles??? What shifter has anyone used on thes trans in their mustang? I also must keep in mind that the mustang shifter location is too far back for the pickup - (it will interfere with the bench seat) so I need something further forward. I don't mind fabbing a bracket or something but I still need help identifying a shifter to start with - I'm sure some 'universal' type shifter can be made to work but just thought I'd check with you guys here first!!

Thanks for any input........

·
Registered
427 Posts
You need the stock granada shifter for this tranny. The OD stock position is too far forward for a mustang. I had to rig mine to get it to work, but it may be correct for a truck. This tranny went into some trucks from the factory, never into a mustang. Hurst also makes a competition 4 speed for it too. You may want to get that, the Granada shifter is made by ITM and it is a POS. Good Luck.

·
Registered
19,984 Posts
You need a shifter from an early 80's F150 4X4 or Bronco with the OD 4 spd. They have exactly the same requirements as you, need to have the shifter more foward. These applications used the same basic tranny except inside of having the Granada SROD shifter or side shifter like a regular toploader, the tops sheetmetal inspection cover was done away with, and a aluminum cover with the shifter bolted in it's place and shifted the gears from the top!

I don't know if Ford sells this any more, most likely a junk yard score.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.... but the trans I have is actually a granada OD. Will the truck shifter work on that tail housing??

Thanks again......

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you happen to know a part number for the Hurst shifter?? Or a vendor who carries it??

Thanks for the input....

·
Registered
19,984 Posts
The Hurst kit has long been disc. as far as I know. I bought one for my 77 Econoline that had the 4 spd OD toploader with a 300 cu.in. six. Great combo!

When I bought my Hurst shifter for my '77, that was in the late 80's and it was just discontinued then.

·
Registered
19,984 Posts
I don't think so. The Granada version is the SROD style and as far I know, the only shifter type used in the Granada. Also the passenger car OD's used smaller bearings as well.

I don't know on this but just guessing, you may be able to disconnect and plug the SROD set up and use the Bronco top shifter I was telling you about. I don't know if it would work, only an idea.

The Truck OD's used bigger bearings and are more durable then the Granada OD. I believe the trucks used both the SROD shifter and the external shifter. You would not be able to use the truck tailhousing on the Granada OD because of the bigger truck bearing.

In the long run, it may be cheaper and easier to use a truck OD or maybe a T5 if this is a cruiser and not a work truck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm confused. You're saying the Granade OD toplaoder is SROD style, wasn't that shifter intergrated into the top of the tailshaft? The shifter I'm talking about is on the side of the tailshaft like the 'normal' toploader. ::

·
Registered
19,984 Posts
The SROD trans, I thought was on all passenger car OD's. I could be wrong though. I thought all Granadas were that way, not the external style that we are used to onour Mustangs.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts