Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. So I've been fighting some cooling issues since I got the car and this is the one leak that's persisted. It leaked a few drops a day but I didn't really bother with it because it wasn't that much. Since I changed the water pump, there are no new leaks but this one appears to have increased it's flow. Does anybody know where it's coming from?

The one thing I've considered is just blobbing adhesive around the top of the gasket there as it looks like it's starting to go bad but that's more of a medium term fix.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a few things. Bottom of the thermostat, any of those hoses, timing cover, or the end of the intake manifold.

My guess is timing cover.
I'm almost positive it's not the hoses. I think the leak is coming from the indentation.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,543 Posts
I can say I recently freshened up the looks of my '66 GT engine and replaced the water pump while I was at it because it was leaking from the weep hole. What I didn't do is pull the timing chain cover...the first time. When I started refilling the system, coolant started pouring out of the exact location you show on both sides. Took it all back apart to replace the timing cover seal. Glad I did as the original timing chain had over 1" of slack in it. Now, no more leak.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should've recognized the correlation between a higher flowing water pump and an increased leak...

I can say I recently freshened up the looks of my '66 GT engine and replaced the water pump while I was at it because it was leaking from the weep hole. What I didn't do is pull the timing chain cover...the first time. When I started refilling the system, coolant started pouring out of the exact location you show on both sides. Took it all back apart to replace the timing cover seal. Glad I did as the original timing chain had over 1" of slack in it. Now, no more leak.
How big of a pain is it? From what I'm reading I need to tear it down to where I had it to remove the pump, then pull the harmonic balancer, then there are some bolts coming from the drain pain that need to be removed or something?

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
Whenever I end up with coolant in that divot on my car, it's the heater hose inlet on the intake or the thermostat housing. However, it may be the timing cover on your car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the same leak. I just had to reposition the hose clamps above it, tighten and problem gone. It leaked only after I'd turn off the engine after driving, as I recall. Start with the simple things...

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
I had coolant in that same spot over the last winter when it got REAL cold I re torqued my intake manifold and fixed it ,very surprised how loose some of the bolt were

·
Spammer Hammer
9,543 Posts
I should've recognized the correlation between a higher flowing water pump and an increased leak...

How big of a pain is it? From what I'm reading I need to tear it down to where I had it to remove the pump, then pull the harmonic balancer, then there are some bolts coming from the drain pain that need to be removed or something?
Obviously, you can try to address the other possibilities others have mentioned. Hopefully, it might cure your ills. If it doesn't, i did mine in less than four hours. Which included chasing down a front main seal of which the only shop in town that had one was O'Riley's.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I changed water pump last winter and all hoses, sometimes I still get drops of coolant on the floor. I have noticed that hose clamps comes loose at time. I need to tight those time to time to get rid of coolant leaks. Other places where coolant can leak are thermostat housing, timing cover and intake manifold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts