Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback 289 4BBL
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to replace my gauge bezel due to age and degradation of the chrome on my 1966 fastback. I stared looking at reproductions and I cannot find the exact bezel I have. Looking online, it's like I have a hybrid of the standard and woodgrain bezels. The black rim goes all the way around mine like the standard one, but it has a woodgrain center. Any ideas? I've also included the info from my door tag to show the interior from the factory.

·
Premium Member
6,051 Posts
Your door tag info says you have standard interior, which would have had camera case black inserts on the bezel and glove box. Looks like someone added woodgrain vinyl overlay to yours at some point in years prior.

Reactions: BW66

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback 289 4BBL
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your door tag info says you have standard interior, which would have had camera case black inserts on the bezel and glove box. Looks like someone added woodgrain vinyl overlay to yours at some point in years prior.
That is what I sorta suspected as well. You can't see it in the photo, but it is starting to slightly bubble. Looks like a decent install job. The glovebox has the woodgrain as well. I think I will just change that out and get it back to original unless I can figure out how to match it.

·
Premium Member
6,051 Posts
I think I will just change that out and get it back to original unless I can figure out how to match it.
I can assure you that costs less because I'm in the middle of converting a car to deluxe interior right now ! The camera case black and chrome looks great with a black interior, but you can make it whatever you like!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You can see the edge seam of the vinyl paper between the gauges. If you want to keep the woodgrain, you'll have to do the same as the PO. Maybe you'll be able to remove the existing woodgrain vinyl and re-glue it back to your new bezel. A little heat from a hair dryer could soften the vinyl enough for you to remove it without damage.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You can see the edge seam of the vinyl paper between the gauges. If you want to keep the woodgrain, you'll have to do the same as the PO. Maybe you'll be able to remove the existing woodgrain vinyl and re-glue it back to your new bezel. A little heat from a hair dryer could soften the vinyl enough for you to remove it without damage.
If they wanted woodgrain, why couldn't they just buy the deluxe reproduction bezel?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You can get new wood grain vinyl for the gauge cluster or for the whole dash so that it matches. Either way though they look like you'd need to trim the bottom to match the 66 bezel since the black goes all the way around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts