Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been reading through the forums looking for help about my transmission leak but did not see anything for the type of leak I have. I have a 1965 289 c4 and recently replaced the transmission filter, gasket, fluid, dipstick and vaccum modulator. The issue I'm having is the fluid is coming out from the top of the dipstick, almost as if pressure is causing the fluid to shoot out. When the car is hot and idling, if you remove the stick the fluid will gush out even though it only has 2 quarts in it at the moment. I'm completely lost in finding a solution to fix this, I would appreciate any advice, thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wow I’ve had every kind of C4 leak in my rebuilt tranny and conquered each one...thought I’d have the answer.

But that’s a new one. Maybe a pipe cleaner if vent tube is clogged. Just don’t get it stuck in there. But I’m wondering if new vacuum modulator is working and hooked up properly?

Wait. What are you doing running the car with two quarts in it? Type F likes to foam up if there is air in the system. you are overfilled they will foam up too. Usually shoots out the vent tube. You need a proper fill so it doesn’t whip up with air. Need to move through all gears once it’s filled.

My 68’s Pan capacity fill is ridiculously small. About 2.5 qts. Rest is in the the converter and valve body. If you just dropped pan & did not drain the torque converter drain bolt and then filled the book capacity you’ve overfilled.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Photo explanation! That is usually done with the thing on the car. But the 3 gallon bucket gives you an idea of how much capacity there is. That was draining the pan and converter into it. Most came out of the converter. I was resealing my front input shaft.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow I’ve had every kind of C4 leak in my rebuilt tranny and conquered each one...thought I’d have the answer.

But that’s a new one. Maybe a pipe cleaner if vent tube is clogged. Just don’t get it stuck in there. But I’m wondering if new vacuum modulator is working and hooked up properly?

Wait. What are you doing running the car with two quarts in it? Type F likes to foam up if there is air in the system. you are overfilled they will foam up too. Usually shoots out the vent tube. You need a proper fill so it doesn’t whip up with air. Need to move through all gears once it’s filled.

My 68’s Pan capacity fill is ridiculously small. About 2.5 qts. Rest is in the the converter and valve body. If you just dropped pan & did not drain the torque converter drain bolt and then filled the book capacity you’ve overfilled.
Thanks for the reply, I dropped the pan and swapped the metal filter and about 3-4 quarts came out but I did not undo any other bolts for the torque converter. Should I undo the pan and redrain the fluid or allow it to over flow slowly until it's at the proper level ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Photo explanation! That is usually done with the thing on the car. But the 3 gallon bucket gives you an idea of how much capacity there is. That was draining the pan and converter into it. Most came out of the converter. I was resealing my front input shaft.
I'll give that a try tomorrow and also cleaning out the vent, I'll post when it's done to let you guys know if it worked 👍thanks for the advice

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I dropped the pan and swapped the metal filter and about 3-4 quarts came out but I did not undo any other bolts for the torque converter. Should I undo the pan and redrain the fluid or allow it to over flow slowly until it's at the proper level ?
Well question is how much did you put back in before? Exactly what you took out?

Unless you truly want to get all the fluid refreshed (draining converter) just drain the pan again. I have a pan with a drain plug so it’s easy. When doing a full drain such as that last one where i pulled converter add fluid until the tranny goes into drive. Once it does let everything warm up. Start adding slowly. Put it in R and D check again. After I see it registering on the stick while hot I go out for a short drive run through gears (also can do it on a lift or stands) and recheck. Try not to fill it past the full hot mark on the stick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts