Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it illeagal to turn the odometer(that thing that shows how many miles you have)my dad says it is, when i put my 302 in i want to turn it back to zero, the miles arent correct anyway the speedo was broken. thanks

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It's not illegal in most jurisdictions as long as you don't represent the odometer mileage as the correct mileage.

ie. on the title, the box that indicates that the odometer mileage is incorrect must be marked.

·
Registered
496 Posts
In some states, i.e. NY, any thing over 10 years old is exempt from accurate odometer readings. I think by 30-40 years old people don't necessarily expect an exact figure.

·
Registered
850 Posts
It is ILLEGAL to turn back the odometer on any vehicle[even odometer exempt]in any state. Check with a restoration shop like Legendery Motorcars[Dream car garage] and they will tell you. The law is odometer tampering and is punishable with a fine or imprisonment. It is a Federal law.

·
Registered
201 Posts
in california, they do not track odometer readings in older cars. Classic cars there is no problem with turning them back. there is no difference it letting it go past 999999, to 00000 on its own, or purchasing a new odometer and installing it in your car. You cannot gain any service/warrantee by turning it back so that is not a prob with fraud since these cars have long gone past their warrantee. Do not represent your car as a low milage car though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts