Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 coupe.

I want to install the Classic Auto Air conditioning that uses the original style unit. In reading the directions there are two drainage tubes that need to exit through the floor. One appears to be on the driver's side. I'm not sure where this hole in the floor is placed. Can those of you who have the original or original style AC post pics to show where the drainage tubes are located?

Thank you

Allen

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
The original had one drain tube on the right side. Some say there is a dimple in the transmission tunnel to indicate the location for the drain hose hole. Otherwise just drill the hole in line with the drain port into the side of the transmission tunnel just above where the sheetmetal transitions into the floor pan.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Are we talking OEM as in under dash A/C Unit? I am reinstalling an R-134 A/C under dash on my 68. It came with underdash fitted in by Sears aftermarket in the early 1970's. They drilled two holes for the under dash on either side of the unit for the evaporator hoses to drain into. I'm reusing those for my 68's new system. I could find them and show you a picture when I go up there...but it's basically just two holes where your drainage tubes will wick back into. My new ones are clear and they tuck in there nicely.

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
Are we talking OEM as in under dash A/C Unit? I am reinstalling an R-134 A/C under dash on my 68. It came with underdash fitted in by Sears aftermarket in the early 1970's. They drilled two holes for the under dash on either side of the unit for the evaporator hoses to drain into. I'm reusing those for my 68's new system. I could find them and show you a picture when I go up there...but it's basically just two holes where your drainage tubes will wick back into. My new ones are clear and they tuck in there nicely.
He has a 66. All 65-66 AC was an under-dash unit. The drain was on the right side. Most roads cause the car to lean to the right, making a left drain unnecessary. Couldn't hurt, though. My drain clogged with a small piece of debris on a long drive, and when I pulled off the highway my right turn drenched my right foot with ice-cold water.

·
Registered
705 Posts
He has a 66. All 65-66 AC was an under-dash unit. The drain was on the right side. Most roads cause the car to lean to the right, making a left drain unnecessary. Couldn't hurt, though. My drain clogged with a small piece of debris on a long drive, and when I pulled off the highway my right turn drenched my right foot with ice-cold water.
And I've got a 68' with under-dash unit :) On my ancient and new units they had two drains and a hole on each side. I guess they wanted to be extra sure! But I'm going to guess from your experience they only did the right side on the older cars.

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
Is that a Ford unit or Sears, etc?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
1 hose on PS. There is a dimple, in the area where I put the red circle on this pic of my '65. You might be able to see it if you zoom in. Also included a finished pic of the '65. Even though I have one I did not use the metal cover for the drain hose that was on 64 1/5 - 65 cars. if any one out there is interested in it let me know.
Also included a pic of my daughter's 66(blue int.) where you can see the hose.

1581488052261.png
DSC01033_LI.jpg
IMG_0350.JPG

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
Nice job getting the hose to tuck. I see you used the 66-up hose, which is ribbed, and thinner than the 65. It also had little flaps at the bottom to keep bugs out.

The 65 hose was moulded, and of course exits from the bottom of the case. That's why Ford put a side cover on it, to protect that bottom drain from feet. The 66 exits from the rear. Less obvious is the 66 unit is centered, while the 65 was biased slightly to the right, making the drain even more vulnerable.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I didn't realize there was a difference between a 65 & 66 hose. I agree the flaps are good to keep critters out. My co-pilot(wife) has had fair warning to keep the feet away from the hose area. I like to keep the hoses tucked away and clean looking while at the same time sticking to my rule of NO zip ties and No new holes. I did have to bite the bullet and cut the holes for my custom way of adding 3 point belts in our 2 fastbacks (my 65 son's 67).
On the son's 67 I made a bracket for the underhood AC hoses that also serves as a brace for the export brace. No zip ties here.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Is that a Ford unit or Sears, etc?
The almost original one was Sears. New one looks like a modern version of the round vent 65-66 version. Which Are gorgeous. Here you can see them side by side. I think it’s an improvement ?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts