Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by a friends house and Was chatting about my sons 67 coupe project. On the subject of brakes he said he had the disk brake spindles, clippers, and rotors. So he gave them to me. The rotor are brand new, but rusty, and calipers are the single piston calipers. No matter how I hold my tongue I can’t seem to make sense of how it is supposed to go together. Is there some sort of assembly diagram for this?

thanks,

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Sure. But first, you should know those are not the "correct" brakes for a 67. They are 68 brakes, or later.

·
Registered
883 Posts
As stated,67 and 68 will not interchange, but if you have all those parts for a 68 it will work, you must have the correct 68 spindles. add some pictures of what you have, then we can tell you which way to go. what is right or wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, here are the parts I was given. Let me know whati am missing on the wheel end. Pedal,MC, booster, etc. I will manage later

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Mixed parts. Looks like 65 66 Spindles (square shoulders), has K/H brackets. Calipers are 68-73. The calipers will not work with spindles and brackets. Rotor are 64-67 K/H 4 piston disc brakes.

·
Registered
883 Posts
But the spindles will work on 67 Correct? Rotors will work, Just need the 4 piston calipers for a 67 correct?
Mixed parts. Looks like 65 66 Spindles (square shoulders), has K/H brackets. Calipers are 68-73. The calipers will not work with spindles and brackets. Rotor are 64-67 K/H 4 piston disc brakes.
But spindles will work correct? rotors will work, just need the 4 piston calipers for a 67 year, correct? calipers shown are for 68-up, will not work for him.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Caliper bolts, rotor shields/bolts, calipers, bearings, hoses, dust caps, spindle nut, washers, grease, a day and possibly a little assistance from My friend Bud.

·
Registered
20,998 Posts
65-66 spindle geometry is a little different then 67-73. No need to swap spindles. Take the caliper brackets off the spindles you just got and but them on to your car. Clean the rotors up and @CHOCK can fix you up with the missing parts. You really don't need power assist for the brakes.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Aren't those 67 spindles since the sides are not flat? But either way, you don't need them like Huskinhano says. Keep yours and Chock has the rest of the parts you need listed above. Not sure what to do with the rusty rotors though. Can you just blast those and call them good? If your friend doesn't want them back, you can probably sell the spindles to get a good way along to buying the other parts.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
And be prepared for sticker shock on the 4 piston 65-67 calipers.

It was literally days before hot rod power tour and my brakes had been acting odd for a while but not bad (factory disc brake 65), grabbing a bit on the PS side. So I pulled the calipers and took them apart to clean them, found all kinds of rust and pitting on my cups, that's what was hanging up. So I actually took time off work to drive 4 hours round trip to Charlotte at NPD (PT was in like 2 days) and buy brand new 4 piston calipers... $120 each plus tax. I knew that, as I had already looked them up, but man, not you're everyday $35-40 caliper replacement.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Oh yes --I screwed up. Those are C6OA spindles (67-69). Geometry will be wrong, but with a skilled alignment guy the spindles can be tweeked to perform. If poster has 64-66 V8 spindles, use them. Sell C6OA spindles.
Be glad to help in any way. Stay safe folks!!

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Aren't those 67 spindles since the sides are not flat? But either way, you don't need them like Huskinhano says. Keep yours and Chock has the rest of the parts you need listed above. Not sure what to do with the rusty rotors though. Can you just blast those and call them good? If your friend doesn't want them back, you can probably sell the spindles to get a good way along to buying the other parts.
Well, the rotors should have a surfacing done anyway, that'll do, there seems to be plenty of material left on them. New bearings and the races and seals should do the rest.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, if I can simply swap the little square disk mounting plate onto my existing drum brake spindles is there any advantage of swapping spindles? Are the inner and outer wheel bearings the same between disk and drum set ups, so long as both are v8 cars?
Wow! Those are speedy little calipers. Looks like $250ish to get a pair to my door with plumbing and pads. Still would need hoses, bearings and races. Does it make sense to pursue this application or look at an aftermarket kit?

thanks,

·
Registered
20,998 Posts
Maybe the calipers are more money but they are superior to the single piston calipers. No need or sense in swapping spindles. On the plus side despite the cost difference in calipers, you already have the rotors for the 4 piston calipers. If you go to the single, you will have to buy different rotors. Staying with the 4 piston by not changing the spindles, you're saying money on tool rental for a spring compressor, saying money by not needing a alignment either. Not to mention the time saved. You have to consider the final cost, not the cost of any one item

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Converted it today. It does not take the hoses that are listed for a disk brake mustang, but rather the same hoses and copper washers as the drum brakes. Same bearings and races, I bought all new instead of swapping. It took a few hours. It stops great with the same manual master cylinder.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I also have a 67 that was converted to factory disc. To get around the hose mis-match, custom hoses were used. Ford didn't want us to be able to just plumb disc hoses to drum hardlines, so they changed the fitting size.
The reason was probably because a disc hose connects to a caliper at a different location than a wheel cylinder hose. To get clear travel of the disc hose during suspension travel, the hardline mounting point was moved on disc cars.
I got some of the different brackets that are used for the new location, trimmed the drum hardline to suit the new bracket location, new fitting to suit the disc hose, then flared it.
I don't think your drum master has enough fluid volume for disc brakes.
Just an FYI, if you're comfortable with how it is, that's fine, I wasn't.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will change the master when I put in power brakes, but I was only able to find one master for drum or disk In the manual version.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts