• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently sold a pair of OEM headlight doors on eBay, $10 each mind you. The paint was peeling and chipping but remove the paint, prime them you wouldn't know they were used parts. The Ford casting and part numbers, although faint, were present. Well the guy who bought them for some reason disputes that they are OEM parts and wants his money back including shipping. I wouldn't have a problem refunding his money if I misrepresented what I was selling, but I wasn't. He claims the head light doors aren't exactly like "his" originals.

Didn't Ford manufacture these parts at more than one location back in the day? I know that several people now sell repros, but I removed these parts from a 46 year old car and were obviously as old as the car. The only things not original on this car were the sunroof, gas tank, and bumper mounter fog lights.

Original RT Side 64, 65, 66 Mustang Headlight Door, NR - eBay (item 250775782403 end time Feb-25-11 08:15:15 PST)

What say you? Yea or Nay?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You in no way misrepresented what it is he got. Part number, and pic. No doubt in my mind.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Refund the purchase price, but he eats the shipping. If you had sold him non-Ford parts I'd say you were screwed. He's probably looking at how they don't fit the buckets very well, but a little overtightening or mishandling can do that (especially at the upper inner corner), not surprising on a 45 year old part. I have a rubber mallet that works wonders on these.

Next time include a pic of the back showing the part numbers. Saves you a lot of stress.

·
Registered
226 Posts
There was a thread on a similar discussion regarding the quarter panel extensions,

'65-'66 Rear Quarter Extensions

Bottom line was that there are several versions of that piece, one could "assume" there was a similar situation with the headlight doors.

Greg

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Refund the purchase price, but he eats the shipping. If you had sold him non-Ford parts I'd say you were screwed. He's probably looking at how they don't fit the buckets very well, but a little overtightening or mishandling can do that (especially at the upper inner corner), not surprising on a 45 year old part. I have a rubber mallet that works wonders on these.

Next time include a pic of the back showing the part numbers. Saves you a lot of stress.
I don't have a problem refunding his money. Should I tell him to keep the parts or ship them back to me? Shipping costs were $10.37. So either way he's out $20 if he ships them back.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
IIRC Ford made a small change from the original 64 1/2. Repro 65/66 go for $28-$33each side. IMO this person stole these, must be a nut! Frankly in many cases I'll willingly pay more for a good original (non mechanical) part than a new repro!

Slim

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Up to you. If you refund $10, and he keeps the parts, basically you're out the parts and he gets a 50% discount. Maybe that's what he's after.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was a thread on a similar discussion regarding the quarter panel extensions,

'65-'66 Rear Quarter Extensions

Bottom line was that there are several versions of that piece, one could "assume" there was a similar situation with the headlight doors.

Greg
When I restored my car, even though not original to a 64 1/2, I bought what CJ Pony Parts referred to as , "quarter panel extension and headlight door seals". It's obvious that they are there but I did it to prevent the paint from chipping like was the case before I did the car over. I think they look fine. BTW, the part number on my headlight doors are the same as the ones I sold.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
When I restored my car, even though not original to a 64 1/2, I bought what CJ Pony Parts referred to as , "quarter panel extension and headlight door seals". It's obvious that they are there but I did it to prevent the paint from chipping like was the case before I did the car over. I think they look fine. BTW, the part number on my headlight doors are the same as the ones I sold.
The 65-66 quarter extensions had an internal lip for those seals. The 64 did not, and did not use them. 67-up had them front and rear.

Personally, I'd rather have chips than rubber strips. A black stripe would be way too obvious on a white car.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 65-66 quarter extensions had an internal lip for those seals. The 64 did not, and did not use them. 67-up had them front and rear.

Personally, I'd rather have chips than rubber strips. A black stripe would be way too obvious on a white car.

Well you know, a new paint job, I didn't want to start off with having a problem. Maybe eventually I'll take them off but the black and red IMO looks fine. I may share your exact sentiments if I had a white car too.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
So what exactly is the guy's complaint? I've heard some people buy on ebay fully intending to "barter" after they get the item. If the seller doesn't give in you get a bad rating from the buyer.

So he pays $30 including shipping. Then he demands his money back including shipping. Figures you'll tell him keep the parts and I'll refund $10 as a compromise. He figures you won't pay for him to ship the parts back. You'd end up losing $20 shipping on $20 worth of parts. Bull sh**! He's blackmailing you to defend your seller rating!

That's why I have used Craigslist to sell but never ebay. I do frequently buy on ebay.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd say refund his money only after he sends back the parts and he pays the return shipping.I wouldn't let him keep the parts,it's a principal thing. And here I was this past weekend looking at a stack of original headlight doors about 60 or so wondering what the heck do I do with all of these? I'm thinking they aren't a good ebay piece.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
So what exactly is the guy's complaint? I've heard some people buy on ebay fully intending to "barter" after they get the item. If the seller doesn't give in you get a bad rating from the buyer.
I agree, the lack of the ability to flame a bad buyer is a real problem on ebaY.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd say refund his money only after he sends back the parts and he pays the return shipping.I wouldn't let him keep the parts,it's a principal thing. And here I was this past weekend looking at a stack of original headlight doors about 60 or so wondering what the heck do I do with all of these? I'm thinking they aren't a good ebay piece.
My response to him was civil. I asked him to please look again at the back of the doors. They are faint because these parts are 46 years old but they are there, if they weren't real Ford parts those numbers wouldn't be there.

I don't think China was into the Mustang knockoff business 46 years ago nor in the US Ford probably didn't license people to make after market with Ford's castings.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked yesterday and there were a number of them for sale on eBay. None had bids, the least expensive was at a starting price of $12.50. Most were listed at "Buy me now" ranging from $20 to $135 for a pair of NOS pieces.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Good grief, getting a good-fitting set of extensions or doors takes more than a bit of trial and error- there were multiple casting variations and, as has been noted, they're prone to distortion anyway. I'd be absolutely shocked if I bought a pair of these on eBay and had a perfect fit out of the box...

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good grief, getting a good-fitting set of extensions or doors takes more than a bit of trial and error- there were multiple casting variations and, as has been noted, they're prone to distortion anyway. I'd be absolutely shocked if I bought a pair of these on eBay and had a perfect fit out of the box...
I'd be shocked to find a set of repros that fit a 46 year old car perfectly.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If he's not happy, give him a refund minus shipping. It does not sound like you plan to but I would not, under any circumstance, refund his money and let him keep the doors. That just perpetuates the D-baggery that is rampant on eBay these days.

·
Registered
659 Posts
This buyer may have a car with replacement fenders, thus creating a fit issue with the original part. Whatever the case, do not send him money back until he returns the part. I think the buyer is working you over.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts