Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo....
Before I turn in the starter as a core and get $40 back...

It is worn but works (cranks slow).

Is this a valuable component for a GT500 or other S-code car?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
I would ALWAYS keep a good original and have it rebuilt over tossing it in a core bin. I have my original starter, alternator, my water pump, even my carburetor (though it is shelved for a 4100 4V).

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
35,368 Posts
There may not be anything wrong that a disassembly, good cleaning, new bearing & bushing, and a set of brushes wouldn't fix. On the other hand..... it's the same starter used on FE's and, by the way, 200 sixes in a bunch of other Fords and Mercs so.....

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
I would hang onto it... since its an original 1967 date coded starter... You can always rebuild it or just reuse the outer casing using the guts of another starter...

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I kept my starter for my 67 S code, but had to buy a high torque starter for it This engine is known to be hard to start when engine is hot on a hot day. I did however have my orig alternator rebuilt my local shop. They automatically upgrade internals to a 120 amps.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, consensus is: Not worth a whole lot because not unique to the '67 big block. Worth perhaps fixing or keeping but not by much...

meh. $40 at autozone is still $40...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick on the auto zone starter. Sure it's rebuilt but may be crap inside. Ask me how I know. Honestly, I would get a reputable repair kit and do it yourself. It's not that hard and you will be happier in the long run!

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
Yeah, I'd keep it as well...Have fun trying to find one if you ever go looking for one.. ('67 Date coded that is)... if you ever go Concours...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Lots of guys out there, myself included, who'd gladly pay more than the core charge for a worn out 67 FE starter.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is what I thought!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts