Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all who offered suggestions on my power washer dilemma of earlier today. The engine is now running, but only partially through my efforts. After following the suggestions here, there was still no joy. I took the washer to my restorer and he had it running in 10 minutes. All he did was throw the spark plug in his sand blaster for a few seconds and that was all it took (partly because I'd followed the VMF advice and that took care of some of the problem). I had cleaned the plug but had not changed it. The sand blaster got up inside and cleaned out the oil there, too.

Also today, I had an interesting conversation with a mechanic who specializes in GM but does routine work on all makes. He's also built a couple of award-winning ProStreet Monte Carlo's. I actually started doing business with him when I had my Camaro and know he's a diehard Chevy fan.

He was seeing my '69 convertible for the first time to correct a carburetor problem. When I picked the car up, he was complimenting the car and we got into a Mustang vs. Camaro discussion, particularly why the Mustang is still going strong when the F-bodies have met their demise. His take on the F-bodies was surprising in that he felt they had become too hard to work on where the Mustang, although tight in the engine bay, was much easier. He mentioned that he turns away requests to install headers in F-bodies because it's a 20-hour job and the owners can't afford or justify that kind of labor charge. With the engine halfway under the dashboard, most of them can't even contemplate doing it themselves.

So instead of the spirited defense of the F-bodies that I was expecting, I got a pretty clear expression that GM had done them in with bad design while Ford had kept the Mustang accessible to the shade-tree mechanic or hot rodder. So maybe Team Mustang can take a degree of credit, not only for winning the competitve battle so decisively, but perhaps also for whatever GM comes back with to revive the Camaro and Firebird names in the future.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My sister in law was an F-Body fan. Every time she called me with a problem, I cringed. Purely because of how hard it was to work on the engine under the cowl. Where'd the distributor go? (random picture of engine compartment)
http://www.rit.edu/~bpf7358/Camaro%20Album/pages/Engine%20Compartment_jpg.htm
I definitely think GM designed themselves out of the home hot rodder set.

Carl

G

·
0 Posts
I was always scared looking underneath the hood of an F-body, but after doing a supercharger, headers, motor, tranny etc...on different friends cars, once you get in there it's not bad. Many of my friends have them and they are really not that bad to work on as everyone makes them out to be. Headers take about two hours, because the Y-pipe usually has to have the cat welded on. The distro(Cam Driven) is on the front of the motor behind the waterpump. I'll tell you though, that reverse flow cooling is genius. It'll suck all the heat out of the motor. My friend runs 12.5:1 on pump gas (93), and the motors love spray for this reason. Now if they only made conversions for other motors..... Now to really pick on them, why did they ever continue putting in that 7.5" rear. That is almost always the first thing I see go.....to either a 9" or 12 bolt......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts