Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad sent me this pic this morning. He traded for an Opal GT drag car within the last year. It had a nice running mild 355 in it. He decided he needed more hp. He built a 400 stroked to 426, was gonna be an epic build. He got it installed, Was running great. Took it to the track and it wouldn't spin past about 6k. He also kept destroying starters. He replaced all the ignition components, put a retard box on trying to get the starter to start it. He Decided to replace the flexplate as it had missing teeth. When he removed the flexplate. The TC wasn't seated in the hole in the crank and was bound up so when he bolted the tc to the flexplate, the flexplate, flexed.... a lot! They replaced it, cleaned up the hub of the TC and bolted it back together. Got it fired up and was setting the timing and such, they said it was running better, but still wouldn't go over 5k. Then it instantly seized, no warning, no noises, just 5k to nothing. This is what they found when they tore it apart.

·
Super Moderator
9,576 Posts
Body looks good, don’t see many anywhere.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Opal GT makes a great little drag car. Its like an aerodynamic version of some of the other little boxes people have run like the Anglias, Vegas and Pintos.

Its hard to know for sure what caused that. Something about that one hole was unhappy with itself somehow or other. The rod could be the failure or could be the result of something that bound up somehow. Presuming it gets put back together I would wouldn't leave any stones unturned regarding what could have been the cause of that.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soooo, what you meant to say was commie carnage? A junkyard LS and some spray will fix that right up!

Nice looking car!
Lol my brother and I tried desperately to talk him into an ls. He's very old school. The highest tech he will do is an e ignition, even then, either my brother or I have to wire it up. I made him a schematic of how to wire a basic relay, he had it laminated and every time he uses it and the relay works he calls me.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
Some JB Weld will have it going again in no time! :LOL:

Awesome car. I love the "Valor Courage Honor Sacrifice" body scheme.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts