Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished dialing in myy bellhousing. What offset dowels do I need to get it centered up? If I remember right you subtract one from the other and divide by two. S0 up would be .0055 and horizantal would be .0075. My mind is playing tricks on me in my old age. Need all the help I can get.
Thanks, yarb

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
Don't forget that when you go in two different planes that movement in one will affect the other. For example, if you move the bellhousing up .0055" the points at 9 and 3 o'clock will ALSO go up .0055". If the bellhousing needs to ALSO go right .0075" you'll need offset dowels that take that motion into account, as well... for all 4 positions. Using pythagorean theory, we can calculate the offset needed as being .0093005".

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't forget that when you go in two different planes that movement in one will affect the other. For example, if you move the bellhousing up .0055" the points at 9 and 3 o'clock will ALSO go up .0055". If the bellhousing needs to ALSO go right .0075" you'll need offset dowels that take that motion into account, as well... for all 4 positions. Using pythagorean theory, we can calculate the offset needed as being .0093005".
View attachment 757112
Thanks for the info Bart,
With this vovid-19 and my health issues I'm restricted to home.
Just might crank up my lathe and try to make a couple of dowels. I have some hard round stock. Give me something to do or at least try.

yarb

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Reactions: yarb

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
View attachment 757112
Bart, Using your calculations, I'm asuming the .0093 offset would be 45 degrees in relationship to the centerline. Would that be correct?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just finished dialing in myy bellhousing. What offset dowels do I need to get it centered up? If I remember right you subtract one from the other and divide by two. S0 up would be .0055 and horizantal would be .0075. My mind is playing tricks on me in my old age. Need all the help I can get.
Thanks, yarb

View attachment 757066
Finally got it right, 0nly .003 off on the horizontal. .000 on the vertical. I shifted my .0093 dowels from the 11o'clock position to 7 o'clock.:) I'm happy with that.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts