Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Offset Front license plate?

459 Views 17 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  BlackStick
I have been thinking about opening up the "pentagon" shaped area on the front valance of my 65. Doing this would be a waste of effort in my mind if I kept the license plate in the center below the bumper. Anyone running a plate offset to the car's centerline? Bracket/mount?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
10,830 Posts
You could do an R-model type cutout and still have a little room at the bottom for a plate. Just need an angled tag mount like the one on my F-250 to turn the tag vertical off the lower part of the valance.
Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

· Registered
6,856 Posts
is yours a standard size plate, or wide skinny one? Would it fit laying more horizontal like a scoop of sorts? I'm assuming you legally need to run one? Iowa requires it too- that's why mine's in the trunk... lol
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

· Registered
45,071 Posts
Go ahead and open up the valance! Assuming you have the "US sized" plate, mount it on a rod at the top, weight it on the bottom, and put a bracket on each side to support the rod. As you wind down the autobahn the plate will "fly" and open up the area. When the Polizei pulls you over and you both walk around front it'll be back to "normal". lol.

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Gonna have to vote thumbs down for an offset postage stamp front plate. Gross!

I'd rather cut it into the shape of the valance and mount it leaning back.

Also unless the car has a racy look I'd only get the valance that allows using the bumper.

Car Tire Vehicle Grille Hood

· Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go ahead and open up the valance! Assuming you have the "US sized" plate, mount it on a rod at the top, weight it on the bottom, and put a bracket on each side to support the rod. As you wind down the autobahn the plate will "fly" and open up the area. When the Polizei pulls you over and you both walk around front it'll be back to "normal". lol.
It is not the cops it is the cameras.... Long story but years ago I blew by a camera south of Munich at more than 50kph over the posted limit on the autobahn. Lucky for me the plate was covered with ice, no ticket in the mail......

I would have to do some "testing" to make sure it works at perhaps 100kph. Occasionally you hit speed traps on the autobahn where the speed goers from unlimited to 100

The plate is rectangular and a bit smaller than a US plate.

I plan to run the steel bumper.

· Registered
6,228 Posts
what you have to decide is function or how it looks.

What will opening up the grill do for you?

· Registered
'68 Fastback
71 Posts
Street racer used to do this here, in Russia. Now if traffic cops see such way no mount the plate, your license is revoked for 6 months.

• Wow
Reactions: rpm

· Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
7,339 Posts
Off center would be a no go for me, I’m too hung up on aesthetics. If you could lay the center tag section back, to allow more air flow and still provide the tag mounting surface, might be the only win win available. Would take some cutting and welding, but doable.

· Registered
45,071 Posts
It is not the cops it is the cameras.... Long story but years ago I blew by a camera south of Munich at more than 50kph over the posted limit on the autobahn. Lucky for me the plate was covered with ice, no ticket in the mail......

I would have to do some "testing" to make sure it works at perhaps 100kph. Occasionally you hit speed traps on the autobahn where the speed goers from unlimited to 100

The plate is rectangular and a bit smaller than a US plate.

I plan to run the steel bumper.
Okay... hook a bellcrank to one side and put on a miniature linear actuator... flip the switch, plate goes up. Flip the switch, plate goes down. Almost like 007.

· Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Off center would be a no go for me, I’m too hung up on aesthetics. If you could lay the center tag section back, to allow more air flow and still provide the tag mounting surface, might be the only win win available. Would take some cutting and welding, but doable.
Perhaps cut the opening square, in the bottom mount the new spring-loaded plate holder. Wind pushes the plate down, when the car is not moving it stands straight up.

· Registered
7,415 Posts
You could do an R-model type cutout and still have a little room at the bottom for a plate. Just need an angled tag mount like the one on my F-250 to turn the tag vertical off the lower part of the valance.
View attachment 878026
I get the pic is for illustration purposes, but the idea of putting a license plate on #98 is kinda funny.

· Registered
7,415 Posts
The Germans actually have several sizes of plates... My original post talked about a rectangular plate smaller than a standard German one.
I missed post 6. :) I like the fold back idea. If you cannot find a spring with the right rate, perhaps a pivot with a counter weight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts