Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to Chuck who informed me that he successfully removed both driprails off Murphy. :: I figured we would probably wait until after the Grand National, but nope. One rail has polished up nicely, but the dented one needs some work. That's my task for tomorrow, along with reinstalling them. I can't wait to see how they look, that darn driprail has been dented for almost 30 years! This is going to be the best that Murphy has ever looked in his entire show career, which started way back in 1982.

I'm afraid Trouble is going to get jealous, but I'm making up for it because I just filled out the application to take Trouble to the San Diego show. ::

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
What are you using to polish them?
Yes putting them back on is interesting... :p

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think all he used was the buffing wheel. I'll find out more tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
How do you get the dents out? I would like to put mine back on the 66, but they are quite dented where I had a big problem removing them! :eek: http://www.picturetrails.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2264950&uid=1196350

I enjoy looking at the pics of your projects and can't wait to see them in person if you are coming to the Pensacola event next year with both, although I have seen Murphy before (I think it's a national again???). :)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Thanks Laurie, I tried shinning mine up but you could hardly tell the difference.

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We're going to try what nightmist told me to do this week:

Laurie, a hammer isn't necessary. You can get by with a ball peen and a small punch(steel, brass, plastic). Once you've removed the dents by creating slight high spots on the outside of the moulding, use a flat file in a length wise motion to even the surface. Slow and methodical is the way to go. Then hand sand with wet/dry paper 280-400-600 grit using WD-40 as a lubricant. After 600 grit the trim will need to be buffed with compound & wheel.
The resulting repair will be perfect and only you'll know it was once dented. I repair stainless trim all the trim for people and can tell you if you miss any one of these steps, the repair will be noticable. Just pounding out the dent will look worse than leaving it alone.
Yes, Pensacola is a National next year and I would love to attend, but don't know yet.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Laurie,

I'm going to have a VMF cookout for next year's show so you have to come to P'Cola. ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts