Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil additive, if any, do some of you use? I have a 65 289 that is a little bit tired and has a small amount of valve clatter. I realize I am just putting off a rebuild, but in the meantime, is there a particular product I might consider. And yes, I am a bit new to this.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck in Ft Myers

·
Registered
10,981 Posts
I used to use a EOS from Jegs for the zinc ,But now having a roller 5.0 I have no need

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I use the ZDDP (zinc) additive with every oil change.
Are you sure it's valve noise? A crack in a head or a defective donut gasket will make a noise that sounds very similar to valve noise.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Valve chatter can be adjusted out. Pull off the valve covers, slide a thin feeler gauge between the rattling rocker and valve stem. It that rocker is rattling, tighten the hold-down nut. I will add STP or Motor Honey to a tired engine. It just adds a little extra viscosity and slickness.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,664 Posts
Years ago Consumer Reports tested some stuff and found that "Restore" actually did some of the beneficial stuff it claimed and basically everything was just stuff to make your oil thicker. I've used Restore in a few things and couldn't really tell that it helped anything. But upon eventual teardown I couldn't see that it caused any harm either. Unlike most automatic transmission additives which turn the internal seals into bubble gum.

·
Registered
35,950 Posts
For the last 47 years there have been only two products I have added to engine oil....
1. Marvel Mystery Oil, 16-32oz, as a solvent for helping to remove gum/varnish from hydraulic lifters and;
2. Automatic Transmission Fluid, 2qts, as a "flush", repeated as necessary.

Both of these are "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" methods that aren't truly a substitute for disassembly and repair.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Years ago Consumer Reports tested some stuff and found that "Restore" actually did some of the beneficial stuff it claimed and basically everything was just stuff to make your oil thicker. I've used Restore in a few things and couldn't really tell that it helped anything. But upon eventual teardown I couldn't see that it caused any harm either. Unlike most automatic transmission additives which turn the internal seals into bubble gum.
I have used restore on two vehicles. Both were old rust buckets that burnt lots of oil. It worked really well in both at stopping/reducing the burning oil and restoring a little compression. Not sure I would put it in my Mustang but it definitely helped get more miles out the both of those motors. Not sure what the long term effect is but we didn't care in this case.

For removing sludge, I have used Marvel Mystery along with others. Definitely resulted in FILTHY oil change after so it definitely cleans something out of there.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Clean first then add extras.
Liqui Moly has a full line of snake oils that get good reviews. I get mine from Amazn for sometimes 1/2 of the chain stores..
Look at their website and find the Cleaner/Flush and/or the hydraulic lifter additive- they are similar so i read. Then with the oil change add Certec or the MOS2- Molybendum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all of you. I changed the oil to Castrol 20-50 and a qt of ATF. Car sound much better. CS

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You do know you should give it another oil change with no ATF. Right??
The ATF was used as a cleaner, and now everything it cleaned is in the oil.
Just checking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts