Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know what people are using for oil additives -- Hyperlube , Powerpunch..or ??? How many miles on engine and do you use motor standard oil or synthetic . Thinking over my options once the new motor is broken in . Most likely will use Mobil 1 synthetic . Expensive oil change when using a Cobra oil pan .

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Would you believe 1/2 q of Marvel Mystery Oil? Works well, but probably you can ignore it for a new engine. I'd go synthetic in your case.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I use Mobil 1 15W50 synethic and, like "Jimmy Carter" over there, 1/2 a quart of MMO every oil change. 7,100 miles on the motor.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles before you started using synthetic ? I've heard anywhere from 3000-5000 miles .

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Once the engine is broken in I like using synthetic oil Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1....every once inawhile I run a quart of Marvel mystery oil with normal stock oil to flush the engine out...

it helps prevent sticky lifters and the nasty varnish build up passociated with the yellow bottled oils...

Marvel oil is also a good fuel additive.

just make sure to change the oil every 3k or less depending on driving conditions....

G

·
0 Posts
I don't use any additives. I use Amsoil 5-20 synthetic and I also use the Amsoil filter. I change mine every 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Nothing. I use oil, from 10W-30 dino stuff to 5W-50 Mobil 1, whatever I happened to have bought. I change oil and filter at least annually, sometimes twice a year, so I really get more than 2000miles between change.

G

·
0 Posts
I've also learned from several reliable sources that changing the oil every 6 months is a wise decision whether or not you have driven the car very far. Apparently, the theory is that water collects in the oil over time, and we all know that water is not a good lubricant.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
My car has survived for 40 years without additives and leads a sheltered life.

I don't believe the extra cost of additives provides enough value. I also have not seen any proof they work.

I do believe synthetic oil is good but also believe it is not worth the price of entry.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
No additives here... I made the switch to synth about a year ago. I use Mobile One 10/30, and do think it's worth the price of admition! ;) I noticed an immediate improvement upon start-up: smoother idle, quieter engine, and quicker take-offs.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I use syn oils only since the mid 80's. Never used any additives. Though MMO or a pint of tranny fluid will clear up most sticky lifter or build up issues. But if the engine was built right and maintained any quality oil should do if changed on a regular basis. The syn oils though will hold up under heavier demands of performance paces. How and where do you drive our car should be the first consideration. Thereafter the extra cost or possible savings IMHO.

If the engine is one you did not build and it needs to be "cleaned out" their are a number of block flushes available. Prior to detergent oils a quart of deodorized kerosene was run in the engine for five minutes or so. I used this flush technique with once before breaking down a rather tried sbf to see if it really helped. It did do a reasonably job!

Pat

K

·
0 Posts
Straight dino. Change evry 3k.
I have a non-biased report on Dino versus Syns. Basically syns were developed for extremes such as the military requires. Unless you plan on living in Alaska or Panama with the engine constantly running I'd think you save with dino. Especially if you will be changing every 3k (syns will be expensive).
But the final answer is whatever you feel comfortable with. If you feel better with syns, go for it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
No additives needed. If you change your oil ever 3k miles then dino is fine. I just remove the oil pan in my (forgive me) Honda after 230k miles and it looked like it was brand new. If you change it less frequently, then maybe the price of the synthetics is worth it. Just my 0.02 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
No additives, Havoline 10W-30 regular motor oil, and Motorcraft oil filters. Back in the 70s, I put the first gen Mobil I in a high performance boat. Back then, this stuff was very expensive. The engine was a 351W built to the highest level specified by the Ford "Muscle Parts" program; including the Le-Mans cam and solid lifters. After a few short runs, the valve gear started squeaking, which never happened with regular oil. I drained it out and never tried it again. Perhaps, its a better formula now.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I run Valvoline Syn Blend in my cars. Tried some energy release in my truck, couldn't say if I noticed a difference or not, I had only had the truck a week when I put it in. I did get to try some of that Lucas Oil stabilizer today in a friends car, 90 Subaru Loyale, with 192k on it, had a nasty tap, changed the oil and added the Lucas, and now it is nice and quiet. I would only use that stuff in a high mileage engine though, or in a gearbox would be good. Need to put some in my front diff on my truck to see if it will stop the leak, the Lucas power steering stop leak did an awesome job on my truck, I only used 1/4 of the bottle, and it hasn't leaked since. ::

1 - 17 of 17 Posts