Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what happened:

I drove my Mustang recently a little over 100 miles from one city to another. I had the engine spinning anywhere from 2300-2800 rpm's for most of the time on the highway, for about an hour and 45 minutes.

I pulled into the apartment complex (my new home), and shut the car off and didn't touch it for a good four days.

After the four days, I was going to drive the car again, so I pulled the dispstick to check the oil level (since it burns some oil). The dipstick had a milky appearance to it. I started the engine and drove it around to warm up this oil so I could dump it and put in fresh oil. After this (and letting it sit for a couple hours), it no longer looked milky when I pulled the dipstick.

Well, I drained this oil and put it into a clear plastic jug, and it just looks like normal used oil.

If it were contaminated would I see separation of some kind? Do you think what I was seeing on the dipstick was condensation or something? It was quite humid that night that I drove in, and the next few days because it had been raining heavily.

There is a possibility that the intake gaskets are leaking at the water passages because I recently had to pull the intake to change out my lifters. I wish I could tell if that was the leak before I do that pain in the ass job again.

Anyway, thanks for any help!

G

·
0 Posts
What you found was normal condensation in the dipstick tube. After water contamination, it takes a couple of days for the oil and water to seperate, then you end up with a noticable layer of water on top of the oil. (don't ask how I know this). Had it happen on my houseboat twice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts