Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DUh! just wondering... do oil control rings have to be gapped?
I have a moly upper and a cast lower ring i know those have to be gapped or checked. I have a .30 over slug in a 351C.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Yes.

[color:blue]68 GT500</font color=blue>
[color:green]68 1/2 CJ Coupe</font color=green>

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Well....they need a gap, if that's what you're asking...

IIRC, mine have always been at least .015".....I don't ever recall filing on any though...of course the old brain's gettin' a bit fuzzy...*G*

Just stick em' into the bore and check with a feeler guage...I usually did 2 at a time...

It's when you're filing away on those rings that you think "this is never going to be finished"....*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
It goes a lot faster if you leave them in the cylinder and take a Dremel to them! OK, I was kidding, but what do you expect from a Newbie???

65 FB "Get your facts straight first, then you can distort them as much as you wish!"

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hey, how's it going?!....
Haven't heard from the DD man in a while....

I was thinking die grinder with real thin abrasive disc but it didn't sound too plausible, at least with the ring in the cylinder.*G*

I can't tell a lie, I just used my carbide tool grinder and set the table at zero degrees....the diamond wheel puts a nice finish on rings...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
I always thought the two ends were supposed to butt together on the oil rings?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think you are confusing the upper and lower wiper rings with the corrugated "filler" ring. The filler ring ends butt together, but they can still expand as they get hot 'cuz of the folds. The upper and lower wiper rings need to be gapped just like a compression ring.

Jim Gates
72 Mach 1 - 460, C6
65 Olds 4-4-2, 400 ci, 4-sp
71 Dart Swinger 340 - Project in the queue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts