Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 with a 390 when I tried to put the oil filter on I discovered that it is hitting on my 1 1/8 sway bar. So I ordered the filter that said that it would clear and it still hits. Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have a 67 with a 390 when I tried to put the oil filter on I discovered that it is hitting on my 1 1/8 sway bar. So I ordered the filter that said that it would clear and it still hits. Any suggestions?
Thanks
If originality isn't a big issue, install a remote filter. An adapter mounts where the filter normally goes, and you route 2 hoses(feed and return) to where the bracket is that holds your filter(s). You can get dual filter setup for more filtration... The bonus is, you can locate the filters where you won't dribble dirty oil all over your suspension when you change them!! ::

Here's a link to them from Summit Racing-
http://store.summitracing.com/default.as...mp;x=28&y=2

Here's a picture of one installed in the fenderwell of a '68-
http://www.gotstang.com/1204/blacksunshine/remote%20filter.jpg

Good Luck!!

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
Two things--you don't need a 1 1/8-inch bar, a 1-inch will do. And, are you sure it's a sway bar for a big block? I had the same problem and it turned out the vendor had sent me a swaybar for a small block. The 1-inch big block swaybar clears my 390's oil filter just fine in my 68 fastback. Another 1/8" of bar probably would, too.

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
I just went and measured the clearance on my oil filter to the sway bar. It varies from 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch.

·
Registered
768 Posts
OK one thing you can try is a different oil filter, not sure what you tried. Ford made three oil filters that will fit. FL-1A(stock filter), FL-400(smaller diameter but same length as FL-1A), and the FL-300(which is the same diameter but shorter that the FL-1A)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts