Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought an oil/temp/volt mechanical guage set today. I got everything set up in about a couple hours. The mounting was the most difficult part for me. I started It up and all the guages working great. My volts were at around 12, my engine was on the verge of overheating, as expected, and oil pressure was just fine. All the sudden my I feel a liquid on by bare feet as im relaxing in the seat watching my guages. Yep. The little tube had a crack in it and now I have a couple quarts of oil all over my brand new carpet:( I just don't know how anybody can be confident with oil running through these little tubes. Im gonna put my idiot light sensor back in. Im very depressed right now. It took a week of work to buy the carpets and a whole weekend to install. Dont make the same mistake I did- stay with the light or get an electric guage. Did I set this up wrong? Good night now.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I can really identify with that problem. Fortunately my line split in the engine bay. Once is all I needed for that to happen. I hot-footed down to my local speed shop and shelled out $65 big ones for a SS braided line. Expensive as hell, but peace of mind is more important.

Be thankful you weren't on a freeway when it went. Could have taken out an engine as well as the carpet.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
you cannot kink that nylon lineand strsighten it out. period.

thats why I like electrical oil pressure guages

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I've run mechanical guages in the race car for decades with no leakage, including guages with those nylon lines (even had a fuel guage mounted on the cowl with that line). However, age got the better of me last time I built a combo (one gets more conservative as they age *G*) and I installed SS hose and JIC/AN fittings on the current permutation. For a street car, that's what I'd recommend...better safe than sorry...as you found out unfortunately...

A local hydraulic supplier can make you up a correct hose fairly inexpensively....just take the tube fittings in so they can get you the right ends and block and guage adapters...

Good luck!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have heard nothing but horror stories about those nylon lines. I use a copper line that I purchased from my local parts store. It has worked great for years and will probably never fail.

Deathman68

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They make a pressure isolation device that lives in the engine bay and isolates the guage from the fluid. This is especially important for a fuel pressure guage. I know Autometer sells them for their guages.

Personally, I would use electric guages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts