Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I finally started on my 460 resurrection project, this is a motor that has about 200 miles on it but has been sitting since about 1989. I was looking for cracks in the block and found none visible on the outside, nor in the lifter valley, and what coolant I did see in the pump was very green. I also pulled the plugs and turned the motor over by hand, it turned nice and smooth from the start but there was oil coming from the #7 cylinder--looked like it puked out a few ounces, then no more. What is this a sign of? Should I be worried?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned since 1) There is always oil on the wall of the cylinder for lubrication and 2) your motor most likely with so few miles on it has not broken in yet and the rings have not sat ( sitten? Satten? lol) You also said that it was sitting for a while and most likely oil drained down the valve guides into the cylinder... Only way to tell for sure without taking the whole dang thing apart is to do a compression check..

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yea i vote for valve guide seals leaking down ontop of the piston

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Rings being not seated wouldn't cause your problem, unless the oil ran uphill from the pan. :lol: If the engine got turned over on it's side, upside down, or ????, then it may have drained some oil into the combustion chamber.

Could be leakage through the guides, but not likely with that much volume. Whoever put the motor to bed for 16 years may have squirted a few ounces of oil into the cylinders to prevent seizing. I know I would have.

Too many variables and unknowns. How confident are you of how the engine was stored? I'd likely not worry about it too much until I got it running and see how it acts at that time. If it's something that will make you lose sleep, pull the heads and take them to a machine shop for inspection of guides, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts