Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, It's not a Mustang, but it is keeping me from working on the Mustang. My daughter's pos Toy**** Tercel is putting oil in the radiator overflow and I can't imagine where it's coming from. The car runs good, but obviously is using oil. Any ideas are gretaly appreciated so I can get back to working on the coupe. Thanks and apologies for the non-Mustang post.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Has the engine been overheated recently? If it is the 1.7L that I had in the Toyota (Chev) Nova I used to drive, they have an aluminum head that does not tolerate high temperatures very well. I replaced the head gasket on mine twice, the second time it even burned the head casting between cylinders and head to get it welded and machined.

Jim Gates
72 Mach 1 - 460, C6
65 Olds 4-4-2, 400 ci, 4-sp
71 Dart Swinger 340 - Project in the queue

·
Registered
514 Posts
Definitely check your engine oil for water. A blown head gasket is a posibility. I would advise you not to drive the car until this is sorted out, unless you want to rebuild the engine.

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I second that, my Talons have/had aluminum heads, and I blow gaskets constantly... That would be my bet.

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No water in the oil and it has not been overheated, that I know of. I thought of head gasket, too, but how does the oil det in the water? Other thing is that the little pos still runs good! It's weird...

Ronny
68 Fastback, 66 Coupe, 64 Ranchero
Mustang Owner's Club of Austin, TX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts