Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I recently noticed a pool of oil in a crevice of my engine.

Last time I thought it was just coolant since its right under the thermostat housing, but earlier I accidentally dropped the napkin on the side fender after trying to soak it and it was oily!

Anyway, the engine is still hot so I haven't checked any bolts, but anyone has seen this issue before?

Pardon the dirty valve cover.

Side question - probably dumb... but is it normal that the oil pressure gauge is low when the oil level is low?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like timing cover to block. About the oil pressure, I would think the pressure should be normal if only 1 quart low or so, but very low, 2 or 3 quarts, yes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonder if tightening the bolts will fix this... I’ll try tomorrow! Hopefully I don’t need to replace any gaskets :(

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I do believe antifreeze has some lubricity and can feel oily. You can certainly try snugging the bolts up but don’t “crank” on them.

If I t were me and I thought there might be a leak, I would probably take the thermostat housing off, clean it all up, put a new high quality 190-195 thermostat and gasket in and put it back together.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I had a small leak in the same area and it was simply because the upper radiator hose clamp wasn't secure enough.

Reactions: GypsyR

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep looks like the leak is coming from the thermostat housing. I'll try to change the gasket sometime this week and see if it help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just replaced the gasket and its still leaking! Should I do 2 gaskets? I know for sure the housing is tight. Now I'm curious maybe I need to change the thermostat housing...

Maybe I should try the o-ring version like this:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you use any gasket maker sealer?
No I didn't. I used a traditional paper gasket I got from O'reileys auto. I had a felt gasket before which was leaking... Should I use a gasket maker instead of the o-ring one?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I used both. The gasket that came with and the gasket maker so if there are pits or crevices those were covered too. But that's just me and I haven't had a leak yet. Anywhere so far.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah damn. I guess I can take it out again if it keeps happening. Which one did you exactly use? Did you do it on both sides of the gasket or only the side attached to the motor?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ah damn. I guess I can take it out again if it keeps happening. Which one did you exactly use? Did you do it on both sides of the gasket or only the side attached to the motor?
I used this gasket maker on my thermostat but used this blue gasket maker.

You can use either for the thermostat and water pump. I use it on both sides for the gasket. They say you can throw out the gasket all together and just use the gasket maker. But I chose to use both.

·
Registered
404 Posts
What did you wind up doing to fix it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts