Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...made a slight mistake by posting to my old post and was informed that more of you would be able to read the progress by starting a new post. Soooooo here goes.
Progress Report Day 1: Everything went very well. Got the intake manifold and pan loose. The cross brace and idler arm came off without a hitch. I'm going to have to grind a bit more clearance on the pan to give me more room to get at 3 of the small pan bolts which there is some interference with now...not a big deal though. Today I'm going to remove the manifold and pan. Will fit the windage tray and clean up the block so I can touch up the paint. Clean and repaint the starter. Replace the starter cable....its toast. Ohhhhhhhhh the oil pump drive shaft came out with the distributor. There was no retaining ring on it and the shaft is very meaty. It looks to be bigger than a stock shaft....its .437" in diameter...can anyone tell me what a stock shaft dia is?? If this is the case a retaining clip or ring may not be applicable. Well thats about it for now.....lots of cleaning and touch up painting to do. Anything I should look out for now or should do since I am this far into it would be helpful. Thanks guys. Will report again after todays work is done.
Day 2 A bit more complicated today. Went out to lower the T-Pan and even though I had unbolted the idler arm it didn't really come down low enough to all allow the pan to be removed. Sooooo I thought what now?? Well I decided to take off the steering arm from the tie rod ends....required that I go to Kragens to get a loaner pickle fork to complete that job. Got the steering arm off and had a straight shot at the pan. Came straight down....no problem. Spent the rest of the morning cleaning it up....man those aluminum pan were not cast very well at the ends where they seal around the crank. Spent some time with my Dremel removing casting flaws and making it as good as I could. Its amazing that it even sealed before. Took the 1 peice gasket and set it on the pan to see the fit. Its pretty good...wish I was installing it on an engine stand with the engine upside down though. Will be interesting to see how its going to work trying to get it to stay up there with Gaskacinch or weatherstrip cement. Do I need to put little dabs of silicone in the recesses in the block and timing cover?? And as well at the 4 corners both sides where the gasket makes the turn into the half round part?? All this took till about noon. Went in and watched the NASCAR race and PGA Champ.....then went back out and started to wire brush the tie rods where they were starting to rust....I hate rust!! Going to get some self etching primer from Eastwoods and repaint the steering components. Painted the starter....looks sharp. Taking the export brace, lower front frame brace, and sway bar to be powder coated (won't have to deal with that friggin rust with those again) replacing all the rubber bushings on the sway bar....they are pretty much toast....I think they were new in 88. Sooo thats day 2 in the books. Any comments or suggestion...feel free to let me know...I appreciate them all. No work next weekend...taking kid back to U of Az. :)

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Do I need to put little dabs of silicone in the recesses in the block and timing cover?

Yes, it makes a difference...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts