Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 bolts on the driver side of my oil pan are slowly leaking oil. maybe a drop each every 2 days. the gasket/pan interface is completely clean and the leak is very clearly coming from the bolts, is there a solution to this? remove and place RTF on the bolts and re-bolt? im new to the mustang/DIY mechanic world and ive owned this car for about a month so im learning as i go.... any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,278 Posts
First off you posted this while most of us are still in bed, expecting a reply 3 hours later is a bit much, so just simmer down there. It's possible that those bolt holes lead into the crankcase, most likely due to someone not cleaning out the old silicone out of the bolt holes and then cranking them down. My recommendation is to put some PTFE thread sealant on the bolts, I would NOT use silicone and reinstall.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The smaller bolts go into blind holes and can't "leak". The two larger bolts at the rear of the pan are not blind and need thread sealant, not RTV.
If it's leaking from the smaller bolts, the gasket is leaking .... or the bolts are loose.
PS ... I'm on the other side of the world.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts