Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I do with oil pan drain plug? I tried to tighten it but it keep going around and there is a small amount of drip. Should I add with telfon tape? Will that help? Or I may need a new thread or oil pan? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
You can buy replacement drain plugs made for stripped holes like you have. Try an automotive store. I would not use teflon tape in case some of it came loose and clogged your oil pickup.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First remove the drain plug and examine the damage, is the plug stripped or the pan. Many times only the threads of the plug are gone in that case you just need a new stock size plug. If the threads in the pan are bad you can buy a oversize self tapping replacement drain plug.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If you replace the plug, which you probably will, make sure you get one of the ones with the magnet built in. They work great at collecting fine metal filings that dont always come out with the oil changes...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your inputs. I don't have a small plastic washer. I'll have to look into the thread also.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
The plastic washer is what keeps the oil from dripping. I've used copper washers waaaay in the past, and they are still available. These washers are an absolute necessity. It's quite possible that without using them, you have stripped your oil pan threads, but I'd go ahead and put a plastic washer in, and try it and see. They only cost $0.25 or so, and is a whole lot cheaper than helicoils!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts