Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished the spring washer out of the pan Friday afternoon and re-gasketed the pan for the second time that day!

Since I've got it down to about an hour, I think I'll start a business changing oil pan gaskets! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Anyway, since I broke two screwdrivers trying to pry the intake manifold off - it didn't budge - I left it alone. I guess I'll live with a slight oil leak. Think I'll try cleaning the area thoroughly, slap some sealer in the crack and hope for the best!

The oil pan doesn't leak anymore, so I'm happy. Thanks to all for you help and encouragement!

Thanks,

Mike
'66 Springtime Yellow Coupe
289, slightly warmed over
driven daily

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've done the re-gasket thing twice in one day before. I don't think it would be a good business to go into. Those intake manifolds are a pain unless you have a hoist. If you do rejoice all you have to do is hook the hoist to the mainfold and give it a little pump, don't keep pumping just do it a little and let the force pop the intake off. Be ready to catch it, but above all else make sure that all bolts are off first.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly not a business I would want to go into! I did an oil pan gasket on an early 90's Bronco with a 5.0 last week, and it was a nightmare. The exhaust crosses over under the oil pan, plus the center link goes underneath it, along with a crossmember. After jacking up the engine a few inches, I was able to drop the pan just enough to replace the gasket, but there was no way i was going to be able to totally remove the pan. Plus, when I went to bolt it back on, I forgot about the little girdles that go on the pan rail at first, so I had to unbolt it again to put those on. Even with someone helping it was about a 4-5 hour job. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

-Brian

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill be putting my pan back on next weekend. i'm curious what went wrong the first time - any warnings or tips you can impart upon us?
thanks
mike o
BTW, is black RTV silicone ok to use as a sealer?

[color:blue]'65 wimbledon white original coupe I6
'99 silver convertible V6

Check out Mike & Jackie's '65 Mustang </font color=blue>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts