Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 289 mustang with power steering. I am in the process of detailing the engine compartment. While removing things off the block I decided to replace the timing chain and water pump. When I removed the cover anti freeze poured out of the block down into the oil pan. I know I will need to drain the pan but was thinking about removing it to make sure I get all the anti freeze out as well as paint it. But a friend said not to. He said it's pain to do since I will have to remove the cross member and part of my steering linkage to get it out. Is he right or can it be removed with out disconnecting the linkage and cross member? Any sugestions, this is really starting to snow ball..... ::

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just did the same thing on my 68. It has a 1966 drive train. The difference is that I have manual steering. I did have to remove the crossmember and the sway bar accross the front. The pan dropped down and slid right out. Don't know for sure about the power steering.
Timing gear question:
Did you remove the "C" shaped spacer in front of the cam before you installed the new timing gear set? The new gear has a hub that replaces the spacer. This bit me, and I had to pull the front of the motor off again.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I need to do the same thing in my '68. Did you have a problem removing the bolts that hold the cross member to the frame? Mine has PS, I just got it hooked up again w/no leaks. It would be a bummer if I have to remove it again. :( Oh well. :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
The cross member bolts came out with some effort. They had a little surface rust on them. I would turn them about 1/8 of a turn at a time. Great shoulder workout when you laying on you back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on the "C" shaped spacer. I haven't started to put it back together yet. I have never removed the cross member before, any trouble getting the cross member off and then back on? Like sometime happens when you remove the export braces?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The last thing I need is a twist off of the bolt head. ::

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Change the oil is really all you need to do.... Coolant is heavier than oil so the antifreeze will go to the bottom of the pan, won't mix with the oil.

Always drain the block before tearing into the motor, keeps coolant out of the oil pan, off the floor, etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts