Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct sequence for tightening the oil pan bolts? I found a mustang pattern but I believe it is for a newer mustang.

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
107 Posts
For manual doesnt have a sequence I found. Only says to clean it and replace it if damaged beyond repair.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I now have everything buttoned up. I have the cross member reattached and the centerlink is also attached to idler arm. I have the nuts tightened up to where I can easily get the cotter pin in. My question is are the idler arms suppose to "pop" back on? I know I had a heck of a time getting them off the centerlink.

This is on a '66.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
Okay, I now have everything buttoned up. I have the cross member reattached and the centerlink is also attached to idler arm. I have the nuts tightened up to where I can easily get the cotter pin in. My question is are the idler arms suppose to "pop" back on? I know I had a heck of a time getting them off the centerlink.

This is on a '66.
No, you simply tighten the nut to spec and insert the cotter pin.

The angles of the stud and socket are such that when the nut is torqued, they lock together with an interference fit, hence the difficulty in removing them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts