Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, does the screw in type pickup (going in my 351C) have to be threaded all the way into the oilpump. It seems i would really have to reef on the thing to bottom out all the threads. I have about 4 threads left showing on the pickup but its really tight to the oil pump. Also about how close does the pickup sit to the oilpan. I test fitted my old pan to the block and the pan seems to sit right on top of the pickup. My pan has a crease going through the middle of the pan. I've been told by others on vmf that this is normal on the cleveland pan.
Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
664 Posts
First of all how deep is this crease? second is this the original pan and pickup? you may not be all the way lined up with the bottom of the pan.The bottom of the pick up should be parallel to the oil pan surface of the block. Also DO NOT use any thread sealant of any kind, just put a light coat of oil on the threads and screw it in. Make sure you tighten it enough so that it will not loosen up and flop around inside the crankcase. Hope this helps,Scott

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the original pickup on a new oil pump. The pan is original too. The crease(through the centerline of the pan) looks like a factory bend, not an impact from a road surface. Any other owners out there with a 70 351C/4V. Is this crease suppose to be there

1 - 3 of 3 Posts