Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is continued from here if you haven't read it already.

I replaced the oil pressure sending unit this morning, and it read High on the gauge. It worried me so I also got a cheap sunpro mechanical gauge from AutoZone. Installed it just now and it read around 62psi at idle and up to around 70psi I'm guessing, but it didnt move around much.

Why is it so High? Is it to High? Here are my engine specs:

Originally a 289 2bbl
Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake
Edelbrock Performer Carb 600CFM #1406
MSD Billet, 6AL, Blaster 2
1" 4-hole Spacer
K&N Filter

Rest is stock I think.

Appreciate any input, thanks.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If your engine is newer (can't recall, too many posts today..*G*), builder may have set it up with tight clearances on the main and rod bearings....that would explain your pressure readings...

I do the opposite on the engines in the race car and they never have high hot readings (usually 60psi or so max), even with a massaged HV oil pump.....amazing what a few thousandths clearance can do, eh?

Happy to hear there was no problem with the engine....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the original engine, but it was rebuilt about 4 years ago. I don't know to what extent.

I'm hoping there's nothing wrong. 62-70psi seems way to high to me.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I'm hoping there's nothing wrong. 62-70psi seems way to high to me.

IME, racer's kill for that kind of pressure...

In your case, since you have considered synthetic lube, you may be an excellent candidate...

In any event, you can likely use 10W-40 or 5W-30 without pressure concerns in summer....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been thinking about switching over to synthetic next time I change my oil, but worried about leaks.

I'm running 10W-30 right now. Anyway, thanks for all your input. You've been very helpful.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I put my motor together back in 92 and it holds around 75 psi cold idle and 45 warm idle in gear and as low as 25psi after a good flogging for about 10 minutes. and at aout 1500RPM it goes to around 75-80 on a warm engine. I would be worried about low oil pressure.

G

·
0 Posts
ALL gauges are suspect if they are not checked against a master. (Particularly those gauges manufactured in 3rd world nations) I would only worry if the pressure was unusually low. One way or the other use synthetic oil. Just get the juice there and it will do its thing. Regards John

·
Registered
553 Posts
My oil pressure hangs around the 60psi zone. It's a 302 with 4v Holley. I was told that my rebuild may have had a high volume oil pump. But that was the previous owner, so who knows. Like others have said I would be more worried if it were a low pressure condition. Granted keep an eye on it for any fluctuations I wouldnt go crazy worrying about it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just drove around for a bit with the mechanical gauge.

Around 60-65psi from 40-60mph, and it dropped to 35psi when idling and the engine is warm.

That's good enough for me./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts