Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally completed a rebuild. I'm using 10w-30 dino oil. The engine has a 268h cam and Edelbrock Performer intake and carb and an oil-bypass hose that runs from the front of the block near the fuel pump to a 'T' fitting in the back of the block. Also at the 'T' fitting there is the oil temp sensor and another fitting where I have a good quality snap-on mechanical oil pressure guage temporarily connected. I'm noticing that the oil pressure is fluctuating between about 65-69 psi when cold and even once its been running for about 15 minutes. Is the fluctuation and psi normal? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Your oil pressure will vary with idle a somewhat. 65-69 isn't bad for idle on a cold engine. My 351C runs a little high around 80 at cold idle and 65+ at warm idle @700 RPM.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I dont have a 351, but I have been told when its warm that at least 10 psi per 1000 RPM. I dont know how linear a oil pump is, but mine (a 302) runs at 60pis cold and at cruising and when its idling and warm can run at 20 psi.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. For future reference.. this is the first oil change since rebuild. Only about 30 minutes on new engine. I changed the oil and oil filter and fluctuation is almost gone. I'm thinking with all the assembly lube, etc, perhaps the oil filter was a bit loaded up and the oil filter bypass was opening/closing. In any case, its now only fluctuating about 1 psi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts