Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the great help from many, I began searching through my thousands of engine rebuild pics to see if I could figure out the problem before I tore the whole engine down. I came across this picture (I hope the link works). http://www.geocities.com/leslie68fastback/engine.jpg

I noticed that it does indeed appear to be missing the rear 3/4" plug mentioned by camachinist and whisperer. Are those other holes supposed to be there too, or do they require plugs as well? Thanks in advance for the help.

Deathman68

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Can't see your pic (page unavailable) but that plug serves to seal the access area where the factory drilled the crossover passages from driver to passenger side oil galleries...

There should be two holes, drilled at angles to the block's intake manifold contact surface. The main bore where the passages connect should have a shoulder which registers the soft plug so it doesn't go too deep and block the passage.

You can e-mail me the pic and I'll host it...my e-mail address is on my web site...I'd like to have a pic of that transfer for future reference as it is also the location where some of my oiling system mods occur...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yup. That plug is totaly gone in the picture, and if it was never installed after that then there is your problem!

Since your engine is together I wouldn't tap the hole for a screw in plug. Instead drive a softplug in with loctite and stake the top of the hole. Go easy if you've never staked something. The idea is to slightly bulge the metal with the punch, not bend and/or break it. This plug originaly has a ring retainer and is roll staked from the factory.

You got lucky, easy fix to pull the intake off instead of pulling the whole engine down for a bottom end repair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts