Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completely rebuilt a 66 200 from the ground up. Now it runs great but will only generate 30 psi pressure on start up and it drops after it has run awhile. I have replaced the new oil pump with the one I took out from the rebuild which was fine before but they both did the same thing. I have gone to heavier wt oil and changed the filter but still no dice. I checked the pressure with 2 external guages and they both verified the same thing. But I have no leaks anywhere. I am at my wits end. Any other suggestions you could have would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
471 Posts
could be cam bearings or any of the rods or mains did you plasti gauge them before you buttoned it all up? ::

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not plastiguage them before I buttoned it up. I did not think I needed to because I replaced all of the bearings. Did I mess up????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It goes down to almost 0. I'm afraid to drive it long. The book I have says it should be around 45 which is what worries me. You have a Great looking dog.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If the crank is worn to much even with new bearings you won't have any pressure any time you put in bearing you need to plasti gauge them for your own benifit then you know youare alright in that area. ::

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. In my book it shows a gasket for the oil pump to the block and a gasket for the pick up tube for a 289. But it only shows the gasket for the pick up tube on the 200. However the print instructions talk about a gasket on the pump housing. Do you know if there should be a gasket in both places for the 200. It makes sense to me but I didn't put one on the gasket housing?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts