Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 351W w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM package making about 425hp. The motor is freshly rebuilt w/ about 4000 miles on it. I noticed that the oil pressure runs about 50 psi at 3000 rpm which is at highway speed. I have a std oil pump. When I lay on the gas in 3rd gear, the oil pressure will drop from 50 to 40 psi at 5000+ rpm under full load. It only does this at high speeds. I'm running 10W30 oil. I have a mech. oil gauge. I always thought you needed 10psi/1000 rpm. If my motor runs to 6000 rpm, should I be running 60 psi at that rpm? Maybe go to thicker oil?
Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
850 Posts
You are probably running out of oil. Try adding another quart and taking it out and getting into it. If the pressure doesn't drop, then that would be the problem. Ford had that happen with the Boss 302. High volume oil pump and windage tray was keeping so much oil up top at high RPM there wasn't any at the pump pick-up. They fixed the problem with a new dipstick that required two more quarts to read full. Same oil pan.This happens a lot on the Fe engine when people go to a high volume oil pump.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts