Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 429scj in my 70 Torino. The engine was rebuilt in 93 and I believe we put in a Melling HV pump. My mechanical guage is fluctuating at rpm's over about 1800 and holds a constant pressure of around 50psi at rpm's below that. Is the HV pump causing this ? The pressure fluctuates between 30 and 50 psi. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
77 Posts
what type of meter, mechanical or letric. never had any of my mechanical meters fluxuate an any revs below say about 1500 rpm. always a steady reading

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Do you have another gauge to double check to make sure its not a gauge problem? My JD combine had an "idiot gauge" which did not display the lbs of pressure. So we had to cross verify the pressure with a mechanical gauge.

Also, is this fluctuation only recently happening?

Hey, we are going to be at Cheyenne Frontier Days Tues thru Thursday and in Ft Collins on Thur....I bet you are working Thursday huh? Just checking, I'll be in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Dan, I thought about doing that. I did a search and read some stuff about a HV oil pump running the pan dry and was wondering if that could be it. I don't recall this happening all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts