Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my oil pressure guage wasn't workin for a while there ... suddenly it began working again today. the gauge goes from low to high and back ... I thought I had a bit of an oil leak but it seems to be coming out of what looks to be an overflow valve above the oil filter ... so is it a pressure problem?? is the guage screwed up?? if so what would cause this and what can I do?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think so .. I had it done at jiffy lube and there is an actual tube coming off the block above the filter with a rubber stopper in the top bolted down I'd say it's about an inch wide ... thats where the oil comes from so I think it's there to let oil out when theres excess pressure.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
the tube just above the oil filter is where the oil pressure sender is attached to the system....senders arent rubber; the correct sender for a guage is about 2" diameter and has a small screw sticking out from its end for a wire that attaches to it

the wire is part of the engine wire loom that usually runs atop the intake manifold and also has wires for the coil and temperature sender

nothing around the oil filter should be leaking oil, and losing oil is a bad thing

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I think the overflow valve you're speaking of IS the oil sending unit. If it is clogged, or its internal diaphram is torn, your oil pressure will be lost or misleading.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that would be the "valve thing" I was talking about there is currently no wire attached so I would assume the oil pressure reading is not correct ... oil is leaking form the top of this from below where the screw is. What do I need to do??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would a torn diaphram cause the sending unit to leak oil??

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Sounds like you need to replace it. If it were leaking where it threads in, then some teflon tape or pipe dope could solve your problem.

Is there a loose gray wire in same general area. If so, it attaches on the top of the sender.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Do not use teflon tape sealant around hydrocarbons, especially gasoline or diesel. Use a pipe dope that is designed for that application such as Gasoila. The tape will start to leak and it makes it too easy to tighten the device and break something.

Believe me, I deserved a Doofus for that over 20 years ago.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Wow, guess the oil companies we (when I worked for an oilfield supply and repair corp) used to sell PTFE tape and paste (virgin pure, not the stuff they sell in stores) must have been pissed when they found out they should't be using it...funny, their engineers never said a word *G*

Personally, I've been working in the industry and using the exact same products in my business for a good 15 years or so with no problems..

Let me do some digging on this one...since PTFE is chemically inert, I find it hard to believe it's contra-indicated for hydrocarbons, especially since we sold PTFE encapsulated Viton o-rings for critical oil refinery process pumps (the only things that would take both the temps and stuff they sent through the pumps)...damned expensive little buggers, they were..

Hey, learn something every day..*G*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts