Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard should an oil pump be to turn? It seems harder than I expected- but I can turn it with a 1/4 ratchet. Engine was running though had sat for some years. I pulled the distibuter and the shaft came out making it this chore even more fun

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Is yours a 6 cyl? I dropped a rod into the oil pan about 3 years ago. I took my telescoping magnet tool, and fished it out 1st try!!!!!! I'm guessing I won't have that type of luck again, but maybe you will?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 302. I had the valves done and reinstalled the heads, but I think I am 1 tooth off on the timing. Pulling the distributor, the oil pump shaft came out; but I was able to get it to stay in the distributor base. It just makes lineup even harder, so I was turning the oil pump by hand to line it up better. I was surprised at how hard it was to turn the oil pump- hence my question

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Its a 302. I had the valves done and reinstalled the heads, but I think I am 1 tooth off on the timing. Pulling the distributor, the oil pump shaft came out; but I was able to get it to stay in the distributor base. It just makes lineup even harder, so I was turning the oil pump by hand to line it up better. I was surprised at how hard it was to turn the oil pump- hence my question

Hi,

I recall there being a certain amount of "drag" to it, which is a "ggod" thing as the impellers are an interference fit. Since you have a 'free wheeling" pump rod, you might think about installing a hardened rod, if you haven't already. It's a good practice.
Also know, if the rod happens to fall into the pan, don't get too excited as long as you can still turn the crank over by hand. The reason I say this, is a couple of years ago, when doing what you're doing, my pump rod fell into the abyss. I left there and retrieved it from the bottom of the pan a couple of years later.
I guess I got lucky?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts