Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted previously about jamming the oil pump shaft into the distributor shaft, and then pulling the pump shaft out with the distributor, losing the retaining clip in the process. The rebuilder says the retainer is too big to do harm and will eventually find its way to the drain plug. This averts pulling the pan and oil pump, but he wants to be the one to reinstall the shaft and distributor, to avoid dropping the shaft into the pan. So I'm hoping to fire up the stroker rebuild this week!

To those who suggested losing the mallet, I have taken your advice.

http://a1.cpimg.com/image/A3/89/10694051-d3cd-0122006F-.jpg

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I didn't think that pulling the pan to get junk out was that bad. The cross brace came out, the pan unbolted, voila, there's the washer that went down the distributor shaft hole (yes, that was a minor doofus). I think I would spend the effort, rather than just hoping the retainer didn't end up where it shouldn't.

Carl

G

·
Considering that the oil pump screen doesn't completely cover the intake to the pump.There is a hole in the screen that is covered by the flat piece of metal on the pickup. This hole is large enough to allow that retainer to pass.
I would do what was needed to get that retainer out before firing the engine.I have used a horseshoe magnet held against the pan to drag the retainer to the oil drain hole to get it out more than once avoiding oil pan removal.
There is no way I would fire that motor with that part in the oil pan. It can get picked up and it will lock up the oil pump causing damage. Of course if the engine builder says do it. And he puts the guarantee in "writing" that there will be no failure, and he will rebuild at no cost to you if there is. With no time or milage limit. Then fire it up.....

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The screen should be solid across and not allow any big items to pass. I've not seen one that had a slit in it. ??

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
now I don't feel so bad... I droppped the whole shaft in my pan... I am just going to wait until the car is on the road so I can take it to work and pull the pan... a heck of a lot easier than pulling the pan in my driveway.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would the retainer necessarily fall directly into the pan, or could it still be hanging around the oil pump? I was planning to fish around in the hole with a magnet to try and retrieve it. I trust the guy who rebuilt the motor, but guess I need to understand why he considers a loose retainer harmless.

G

·
I hope you tow it to work or have a drive shaft in it right now!

60sdude: If you pull the pan to remove the retainer then you can install your shaft with a new retainer the correct way, then you're good to go if you need to pull the dizzy in the future.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Odds are this will never harm your motor, but there is just the odd chance that this little gem could find it's way to do some damage. It's a risk... maybe slight... but a risk. Maybe a magnetic drain plug could catch this for you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The oil pump pickup my 67 289 came with had a hole the size of a dime in the center of the screen, and it was more or less covered by a thin solid metal strip. 20 years ago a tooth of the original nylon timing gear broke off, got into the pump, jammed it, and broke the pump driveshaft. I assume the pickup was a stock piece, but don't know for sure. A mechanic friend of mine said he likes to braze a penny over that hole.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
I was a victim of that hole two summers ago, with a nylon timing gear piece in the oil pump. What was explained to me is that when the oil screen is all gunked up and the screen is blocked, the suction will pull the screen up exposing the hole. The hole will allow oil to circulate in the engine.

It was thought by Ford that it was better to get dirty oil than none at all. They know thier marketplace!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts