Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Mustang
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got my car back from paint and wanted to start tackling a few odds and ends with the piles of parts I have.
Pulled the distributor to run down to the local dizzy/carb guru to have it recurved.
When I pulled it, the oil pump shaft came with it. A twist popped it free from the distributor.
Noticed that the pointed side was facing down too. (Which I don't think is right)

So, I'm stuck at a crossroad here. Picking up the distributor in the morning..... Can I fish the oil pump shaft in from the top?
(No, it didn't have the little star holder on it)

Really not wanting to pull the pan if possible.
Seen this video and figured I probably good based on this guys direction. Any thoughts or tips? Could I not just put a dab of silicone on the end of the distributor and fish the whole thing as a unit?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Fairly easy . Wedge the shaft in the bottom using a piece of paper for an interference fit . Carefully install and hope it stays put

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I have done it in the past. A dab of grease should work. It creates a vacuum to hold the shaft in the dizzy.

In this case, pointy end down to help it fit into the oil pump.

Reactions: cturboaddict

·
Registered
36,671 Posts
Do you want to do it....or do it right?

When was the last time the oil pan was off?

FWIW, I bet at least a half-dozen of us "old guys" have experienced an oil pump driveshaft failure at some point... maybe it's "karma" telling you to spring for a HD piece?

·
Registered
66 Mustang
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on. Figured I could, I know its not the first rodeo for some.
I've just never had one pop out through the top before.

Dunno last time the pan was off. It ran well before I dropped it off at the body shop. Dumped all the orange spent fuel out today and replaced sender and cleared all the lines.

Side note- I've got a 331 I'm assembling sitting right next to the car. But I dont have all of the parts yet for the 4r70w that goes with it.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you want to do it....or do it right?

When was the last time the oil pan was off?

FWIW, I bet at least a half-dozen of us "old guys" have experienced an oil pump driveshaft failure at some point... maybe it's "karma" telling you to spring for a HD piece?
If pulling the pan is "right" and replacing the pump. Then I just want to "do it". LOL

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
i have done it before. it is easy enough you just have to pay careful attention to everything going on. as noted a little wheel bearing grease should hold the shaft in the distributor while you install it. but i am also going to advise that you step up and pop for an aftermarket oil pump drive shaft, either from ford motorsport or ARP as they are much stronger shafts, and they make it easier to install the shaft without issues.

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
I pulled the distributor out of my 289 once with the shaft still stuck to the bottom and the tinnerman washer broken and still in the engine ....come to think of it I wonder if if that is what smeared across my oil pump and not the cam bearing as I thought.? Woodchuck is probably right take your pan off if your missing pieces

·
Registered
66 Mustang
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pointy side of shaft up or down? I figured the correct orientation would be up towards dizzy.
When removed it was pointing down....

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
up

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Pointy side of shaft up or down? I figured the correct orientation would be up towards dizzy.
When removed it was pointing down....
that tells me it happened before, and the PO had trouble getting the shaft to engage the oil pump and change the orientation to make it work.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For what it's worth, got it replanted in the oil pump. It was actually very easy.

So, I grabbed a straw from one of those "bubba water cups" from walmart. It's a little bigger and thicker than a standard straw. Soaked it in hot water for a few minutes. Then wedged the shaft in there about a half inch. Ran it under cold water. (Think mouth guard molding)

Then stuck my light down next to the cam gear and fished it into the oil pump. Made sure it was definitely seated in the hex. Removed it and did it a few more times to make sure I was ready to remove the straw.
Grabbed an 1/8" tig rod, and pushed down while I slid the straw up.

Back in the pump.

Reactions: blueovalfan68
1 - 12 of 12 Posts